Got a ? on what i should feed?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kham

I bought some SPIKE'S DELITE PREMIUM DIET can i just feed this and add veggies and some other hedgehog safe stuff?

Or should i mix this with cat food? If so what cat food should i mix it with?

Thanks.

Some people debate how good Spike's is. Overall, it seems okay; however, there have been some quality control issues in the past year in which little sharp pointy things were sticking out of the kibbles, so many people stopped feeding their hedgies Spikes. Take a good look at the Spike's kibbles that you have - if you see any slivers of anything sticking out, I'd suggest tossing it. If you don't see pointy little slivers, then I'd continue using it along with at least one more food - cat kibble.

There are a few reasons for using more than one food:
- if something goes wrong with one (eg, like the quality control issues with the Spike's, or they change the formulation when you go to buy a new bag and hedgie rejects it, hedgie develops an allergy to one of the ingredients, or whatever), then you have the other kibble that they're already used to to fall back on.
- no one has figured out the best food for hedgies (despite what advertisements may say), so we get a couple, figuring that where one might be lacking a piece nutritionally, another kibble can fill that hole.

As for which one to get, check out the FAQ on hedgie nutrition. Some quick suggestions (ie, things I can think of off the top of my head because my hedgies have eaten them) are: Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul Light, Fromm Mature Gold, Wellness Healthy Weight or Wellness Indoor Cat, Solid Gold Katz-n-Flocken, and Innova.

Back