Wheel debate!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megz1228

I currently have a cheap plastic wheel from the pet store. I did weight it down, so they can run on it. I'm looking at investing in a good wheel and have been doing lots of research. I have one boy who loves the saucer he has now, and I'm hoping my chunky one will enjoy the new wheel! So, here's my question - what's better...chin spin, flying saucer, ed wheel, silver surfer, or something else? :dance2:

I have a saucer and really like it! I have two boys though and only uses it, the other acts like its just a decoration!

It looks as though the 14 inch silver surfer is on sale for $49 at chinchillas.com. I paid $89 for it :hair: Are they discontinuing it?

I have both the chin spin and silver surfer. I bought the surfer one-and-a-half years ago as a replacement for an Ed wheel that was getting worn out. What frustrates me (and my chin) about the surfer is the narrow running path. Ludwig was accustomed to the wider path of the Ed wheel, so when he starts running too fast he sometimes tumbles off the wheel. This isn't entirely the fault of the wheel. In fact, it has much lower resistance than my worn out Ed wheel, so my hyperactive Ludwig really shouldn't need to invest as much effort to get it spinning. (I wish I could explain that to him ;).)

Ludwig's energy + low resistance + narrow running path = disoriented chinchilla on floor of cage. Bless his little heart, he just jumps back on and start running again.

Luciole - My Hemi loves the wheel he has right now. He tried to get going fast on it, but it's just too small for him. I really hopes he likes the silver surfer I got. I'm so excited to see how he does! Ludwig sounds like he is a pretty motivated guy to keep in shape!

Oh, I did see that the silver surfer is $49, but the site did not say anything about that wheel being discontinued.

My largest chins (one is 800+ grams, the other is 900+ g) run just fine on the Silver Surfers.

Good to know. Part of the problem with Ludwig is that he runs too fast on the lower resistance wheel (the Ed wheel was getting "sticky" and took more effort) but he refuses to adjust his running speed. He's like a little kid experiencing a burst of energy that he simply cannot contain. (Remember those days? --I wish I still had that energy).

BTW, who is the adorable "biter" in your avatar? Is that a baby pic?

We got the silver surfer on Tuesday. That evening he was pretty confused by the new object in his home. Hemi and Hank both thought they were supposed to run on top of it. Watching their little faces was amazing and hilarious. They got it figured out during the night and the next evening Hemi was reluctant to getting caught using the new wheel. I snuck in a few peeks and he is in love with it! Like Ludwig, he runs too fast on it. He'll run really fast one way, then stop, and let it sway back and forth. Then he'll turn around and do it all again the opposite way. He's a very happy little boy. Hank turned 2 in February and Hemi turned 2 in April. Hank is very laid back and is usually eating or sleeping; while Hemi has an incredible amount of energy. He bounces around his cage like a crazy boy. I did have them both out of their cages two nights ago and Hank was unusually active. He was popcorning and jumping all over! Maybe he'll get in some wheel time also!
:dance3:

I made my own wheel, I can't remember who posted it. But they made their own wheel and posted the instructions for it! It was really sturdy and Milo LOVED IT!

Back