Diarrhea due to soft cat food?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MandyK22

My hedgehog has had some teeth problems lately due to old age - and we have started feeding her soft, canned cat food (as opposed to hedgehog food pellets). Since we started feeding her the cat food, she seems to have a bit of diarrhea. Is this due to the change in diet, and should I expect her digestive system to get used to the food anytime soon?

Thank you.

Hi,
i do not knoww about hedgehogs, but i do know that a change in diet for many animals can cause diarriah.

summer

Fortunately, one of the recommended foods for messy poops/diarrhea is pumpkin - nice, soft unseasoned pumpkin. Baby food squash seems to help firm things back up too.

It makes sense to me that any change in diet is likely to upset a hedgie tummy. Sensitive little creatures they are. Check and look how the ingredients on the old and new food compare - is it the same brand, just canned? Same ingredients? Similar percentages of protein, fat, etc?

I tried a number of different things when my Satin needed softer food... putting her regular kibble in a grinder and wetting it, baby food, smaller kibble (RC Babycat), wet cat food... Perhaps some of those ideas might help??

Other than the teeth and diarrhea, how's your little one doing? What's her name? How old is she?

Thanks for the replies! :)

The food switch was pretty significant. We went from dry hedgehog pellets to canned, wet cat food. I used to give her hedgehog pellets soaked in water, and she enjoyed that for a few months, but she eventually refused to eat it. I don't know if she got sick of it or her teeth got more sore. I also tried baby food and tuna but she wouldn't touch it.

Other than her teeth, she is pretty good. Her name is Elliott, and she is about 6 years old.

Back