Treats

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johannie86

Hi,

I just started giving my hedgehogs some mealworms, and he's just crazy about them. I'd like to know how much should I give him a day, and how often.

Thanks

I keep my treats pretty minimal. Since he's crazy about them, use them as rewards to make handling a more happy time for him. I give my little guy about 5 of the freeze dries ones when I handle him. If he's gotta chase them around a table, even better! It drags out the process of eating them and becomes a game.

Start off small and play it by ear. You'll know if hedgie is getting too many by: upset tummy/messy poos or if he starts gaining too much weight.

With Satin, who loooved them, but was a bit on the fluffy side, I'd go with ~3-4 every few days. Tex gets zero because he runs away in horror.

Other owners report feeding mealies every day.

You'll get to know what works best for your little one over time.

Yea I supposed I should have mentioned that my hedgehog is much longer than average hedgehogs, so he naturally weighs more. He's also a CRAZY runner (running so much that he knocked his comfort wheel off the stand several times before upgrading). The more you feed, the more you gotta exercise!!

Back