Under 6 Months...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebecca1122

Charged By Chins.
Hi,

I just wanted to get everyone's opinions on do's and don't's for chins under 6 months. I put this under debate because it seems to have a bit of controversy, or so I thought. If not, please move this to the correct category.

Personally, I don't give my chin treats or a wheel because he is under 6 months. But I do give him 5-10 minutes of playtime just a few times a week so he can come out of his cage.
Some people may disagree, but it's only for a few minutes and he seems to like it.

So, opinions on under 6 months rules?

:)

I, personally, would rather be safe rather than sorry. In the first 6 months of their lives, chins are still growing, and rapidly so, so the last thing I feel that we need to do is give them anything that's bad for them or could possibly harm them. You wouldn't put pizza in a food processor and give that to a baby in place of baby food.... so why give a chin treats to eat when they're not old enough?

As for the playtime... the chins we have here that are under that age are so freaking energetic IN their cages that I think they'd totally wipe themselves out if let out. Don't get me wrong, we take them out and hold them, but for the most part, their cages are large enough that they can get some exercise (without a wheel) and when they are old enough, then they're let out. Better safe than sorry.

Young chins are such spazzes they will play until they pass out or get a hypoglycemic seizure, whichever comes first! Also, young chins guts are still populating with bacteria, they will be more prone to bloat due to that.

Hi,

I just wanted to get everyone's opinions on do's and don't's for chins under 6 months. I put this under debate because it seems to have a bit of controversy, or so I thought. If not, please move this to the correct category.

Personally, I don't give my chin treats or a wheel because he is under 6 months. But I do give him 5-10 minutes of playtime just a few times a week so he can come out of his cage.
Some people may disagree, but it's only for a few minutes and he seems to like it.

So, opinions on under 6 months rules?

:)

Rebecca,

You've already had this question answered in one of your past threads. http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25780

Please see Trio-of-Fluff's first response to you.

You say that the six month rule seems to have a bit of controversy surrounding it, so obviously you've done your research and you've seen multiple views on the issue. If you know our responses, and our different views, why are you asking us to repeat ourselves again in this new thread?

I know that you are SOO excited about Oliver, and you really want to do everything right. However, you've been researching and asking questions on the same topics for months now. Our responses aren't going to change from what they were back in July, and we're still going to have the same responses 2 weeks from now.

This is a forum comprised of many members with different points of view. So at the end of the day you're going to have to take all the information you've gathered and use your own judgement to make the best decision for you and your chin.

Back