Animal Protein In Chin Pellets

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tagna

Chin lover
I'm just wondering how many people think that animal protein in chin pellets is okay or something to be avoided.

When I see this on an ingredient list my first thought is why would chins be need protein from animals.

I was given the chance to get Tradition chin pellets but when I saw that there was "animal protein products" I decided to not go with it.

Whey is a animal protein byproduct used in chinchilla feed, some of the top feeds as a matter of fact. Its added for protein. I doubt highly it has blood meal or fish meal or yucky things like that since it was formulated by ranchers.

Last edited:
The animal protein products in Tradition is basically powdered milk. JAGS explained a while back on CnQ.

From my understanding, Jim Ritterspach is pretty much the developer of Tradition. I doubt he's going to put anything in it that is bad for chins.

Whey is a animal protein byproduct used in chinchilla feed, some of the top feeds as a matter of fact. Its added for protein. I doubt highly it has blood meal or fish meal or yucky things like that since it was formulated by ranchers.

Dawn you were right! I got an email back from them and it is indeed whey. I wonder why they don't just put that on the label?

Dawn you were right! I got an email back from them and it is indeed whey. I wonder why they don't just put that on the label?

Because if the price of whey goes up for some reason, they can switch it with something else under "animal protein products" in order to keep the guaranteed analysis correct and not have to up the price of the feed.

Back