alfalfa hay?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LexieHeg

I'm a Hedgie kinda girl
Do any of you feed your hedgie alfalfa hay? Can they eat it?

I would never have thought they would/should eat it, but there was an ad for a hedgehog needing a new home and the owner listed alfalfa hay as it's favourite treat.

(I tried searching the forums but couldn't find anything on the hedgie side regarding hay).

Hedgehogs are not herbivores, they do not eat hay. I'm betting that the hedgehog in that ad doesn't actually eat the hay, but may taste it and anoint. Even if one would eat or nibble on hay, hay would be extremely hard on their teeth and as you know hedgehog teeth do not continually grow, once worn down they are gone.

Hedgehogs are not herbivores, they do not eat hay. I'm betting that the hedgehog in that ad doesn't actually eat the hay, but may taste it and anoint. Even if one would eat or nibble on hay, hay would be extremely hard on their teeth and as you know hedgehog teeth do not continually grow, once worn down they are gone.
My hedgie also came with a recommendation that he eat alfalfa, but he has a broken tooth, so maybe that is how it happened!
He has an alfalfa tunnel and he digs at it and chews it a bit.

Back