C&C Cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
X

xwhateverx92

So I finally got everything figured out and decided what I am going to do and this weekend I started building Annie's new cage. It's a C&C. I built the cubes yesterday (woah she's gonna love all of the space!) and today I went out and bought the fabric to make liners. Then on Monday I am going to buy the coroplast, some zipties to put on the top of the cage, and get a ceramic heater, thermostat, and a litter pan later this week. So by next weekend, Annie should have her nice, new cage!
So even though she is going to break me again ($)...I am really excited about her new cage. I'm sure I am way more excited than even Annie is. :)

So my question...should I just put her into her new cage "cold turkey"? She'll be going from a sterilite bin with aspen bedding to a C&C with liners...so it a bit of a change. What do you think?

And also, if anyone wants to share any tips on how they made their C&C cage, that'd be great.

Thanks everyone,

My hedgehogs always went "cold turkey" and never seemed worse for the wear. Worse case scenario, she might not wheel and she might have a touch of green poop from the changes if she's really sensitive. All of my hogs adjusted just fine.

My hedgie went from-
-a small store bought cage
-carefresh bedding
-a pigloo
all the way to-
-a Ferret Nation cage
-Liners
-hedgie hat/bag

The transition was very sudden for her but she took it fairly well. She ran around for almost 30 minutes going no where what-so-ever. Then she ran behind her wheel and fell to sleep as she didn't really know what her bag and hat was for quite yet! I stayed with her for several hours just to make sure she was okay. When I was getting ready to go to bed myself, she was under her hedgie bag but it was close enough for me. She actually seemed fine for the days following and had no green poop. Now, she is perfectly at home in her new cage.

i guess I really didn't answer the question but I thought I'd share my little transition story!

Is there another way to do it other than cold turkey?

LOL. Sorry if that sounded rude - It wasn't intended to be, haha.

I am sure she will just LOVE her new C&C!!

Well macygray, I was just wondering if I should do something like put the liners in her old cage for a few days so she could get used to those first...
But once her cage is all ready, I'll just put her in and see how she likes it!

For anyone who currently is using a C&C cage, have you noticed a diffrence in heating the cage. I am currently thinking about building one, but worried that I will not be able to keep it warm enough. I do have 2 heat lamps that I can use, so that is not a concern.

C&C cages do not hold the heat but if you have the heat lamps on remember to get a thermostat or rheostat(I never remember which one or if you need both) to hook up to the lights to keep a consistant temperature.

The only difference between a C&C cage and a regular wire topped cage is usually C&C's are much larger than wire cages. The plastic base of the wire cages help hold in heat and coroplast sides on the C&C will too. In a standard 18" - 22" x 42" or less wire cage, one emitter will usually provide enough heat, especially if the back is closed in. When you have a C&C that is 2 cubes x 2 cubes, (28" square) one emitter will usually work fine. Even 2 x 3 cubes One emitter might work, but larger than that and you need to have 2 emitters, one for each end of the cage. Most of the thermostats will control two emitters.

you can always get a small heating pad for humans and stick in under the liners to keep hedgie warm, thats what i do!

Would you put the C&C cage on the floor? I'm thinking about building one, but I might just settle for a ferret nation, because i don't want to accidenly kick his cage or trip over it

I wouldn't put any cage on the floor. The floor is the coldest part of a room therefore require more heating than one that is placed a dresser or table height.

A heating pad will only work with bins or small cages.

What I am doing for my C&C cage is building an additional level of cubes underneath the cage to lift it off the floor and also provide myself with a little storage area under Annie's cage.

Back