Adding Fiber

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LexieHeg

I'm a Hedgie kinda girl
What do you do to add more fiber into your hedgies diet?

Lex has high fiber foods (well, as high as cat food goes) - but I worry she's not getting enough fiber because cat food is made for carnivores not omnivores...She poops really well, don't worry about that, but she should have more fiber in her diet.

I've tried all types veggies and people food but she doesn't like anything but her kibble.

I remember reading somewhere on here about mixing baby rice or something like that in with the kibble to add fiber....does anyone remember this?

Thanks for your help!

If you have her on a high quality cat food and she is pooping fine there is no need to supplement.

Grape nuts have been recommended but as Melissa mentions, if she is pooping regularly and the poops look healthy, you likely don't need to go this route.

How many times have you tried the various fruits/vegetables? Did you leave the food in her cage? Did you try for more than 1 day in a row?

Hedgehogs can be very resistant to new things. Sometimes it takes many attempts to get them to even think about trying something new. And of course, even then sometimes they just won't try it.

Have you tried watermelon or honeydew melon? My pickiest eaters will eat watermelon. Poptart won't touch anything but kibble & bugs... but she will eat watermelon. Sometimes not a lot, and sometimes every piece I offer her, but she will eat it.

My hedgies wont eat grapenuts on their own, so I took a coffee grinder and ground them into a fine powder. I sprinkle a little bit on their kibbles and mix it up once a week just to supplement because the cat food I have them on doesn't have very good fiber content.

Insects

Have you tried adding insects for fibre...crickets are a great source.

I buy a bug-tub, feed them carrots or greens for 2 days, then pop the whole thing in the freezer. Once they're frozen, I pick out the healthy-looking ones and store them in a container in the freezer, then just thaw enough for one day in the fridge.

No muss, no fuss...no annoying escaped crickets.

Back