Canned cat foods

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you use canned cat food?

• Yes, Treat only.

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Yes, Regular addition to diet.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, On an as needed basis.

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • No.

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Kalandra

I'm just curious to see how many people use canned cat foods.

Do you use canned cat foods? As a treat? Regular addition to your hedgehog's diet? If yes, please comment on what variety your hedgehog likes best.

I for the most part don't. However I will use it if I have a need (syringe feeding, hedgehog on a soft food diet, etc). Usually I use Hills a/d (for syringe feeding) or Innova.

Usually I don't feed them wet cat food, but will when they need meds - either to try to disguise the flavor (which works for about half a second) or to add a bit of food to their tummies so that they're not taking meds on an empty stomach. Tex, in particular, seems to do better with food added to Baytril - else he's vomited with meds alone.

I've used Wellness, Blue Buffalo, and Innova. Since it's being used to disguise meds (which they figure out), we change flavors. They've had chicken, turkey, & salmon varieties. I also use babyfood turkey and chicken.

If one is on meds and the other isn't, the non-medicated hedgie often gets a little as a treat.

I have it on-hand incase they need meds or even a quick up of calories and fat. I dont normally give as a treat unless I just dont want it to go to waste and I give to the non-sickies.

Back