Best Brand of Feed

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Takuraktty

I know everyone has their own opinion on Chin Food, and I'd enjoy hearing it. I know Mazuri, Oxbow, Traditional, and Purina Rabbit are all supposed to be very good. What do you think is the best and why? I know I left out a lot of brands so feel free to add.

Based on what I have learned here, Mazuri is quite good, and healthy. And my furry little chow hound really seems to be giving it two paws up....right up on the edge of her bowl while she is eating.

I was told by a small breeder that Mazuri is the best food you can buy in a store. I used it until I found out I could buy Tradition for $15 for 50 pounds! I just have to drive 35 minutes to get it. When I bought Mazuri, it was $8.99 for 2.5 pounds. That's a bit much for my 8 fur babies who eat like little cows lol.

I personally use PRSC simply because my chins love it and I can buy a 50 pound bag for $16.04 at our Pet Supply store down the road! I've noticed it has brought out their color and they eat it up - FAST!

Oxbow. It's what she's always been fed (even at the petstore). I also buy from Sandi (on the forum). It fresh and I know when it was milled. Plus my piglet likes it.

I feed Mazuri and have never had problems with it. I mostly use it because it is the only one of the big 3 brands(Oxbow, Traditions, Mazuri) I can get locally at my feed store in 25lb bags.

A long time ago my herd used to get Chillets from Nutritional Research Associates. While I never really had trouble with it, the shipping just got too expensive.

As you can see, you will get a vast array of opinions on the best feed. My advice is to find one of the suggested brands that you can get easily and that your chins like. I feed Tradition because I can get it 50 lbs for $15 from a feed store close to me.

Get whatever is close to you and fresh. I've tried a couple dozen different feeds, and if I could get Tradition here I would feed it over the others. Right now I'm mixing Purina Complete, Pro and Nutrena, because none are particularly good quality in the south this time of year. Can't wait until spring!

I've considered looking into Nutrina Rabbit, since sometimes have a hard time with the feed store I go to having the Purina Rabbit. Especially since we have a mill close by and last time I got a bag it was just under $25!!!

I feed Mazuri and my chins love it and are very healthy. I also give supplement and lots of fresh hay so that helps, but as I type this Scully is eating Mazuri happily at her food dish. The main determining factor for me came to availability. I am simply NOT willing to ship 25lbs of feed and pay for shipping costs. There is a feed store here and they sell 25lbs for $19.99 which is IMO very cheap. It's always fresh. If I could get Tradition, that's what I would feed because I feel the nutritional analysis of it is slightly better than Mazuri.

Trio of fluff where are you located?

I am a "dealer" of tradition, if you are close enough you can pick up a bag, or meet me at the mill for a bag when I pick up my supply.

I am right outside of Philly. I just picked up a new 25lb bag of Mazuri today so it will be a few months before I need more feed (I only have three girls) but I will definitely message you when it's time for more feed!

Where is the mill located?

The mill is actually in lancaster so it would be a slight drive for you, and I am about an hour and 45 minutes away from philly. I was hoping you'd be a bit closer to the mill or myself.

Lancaster isn't too far. Actually I think the breeder I got my chins from uses the mill in Lancaster (she feeds Tradition). I'm gonna have to look into that.

Back