Selling out/herd reduction

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riven

Bad Chin
Is it just me or am I seeing this a lot these days, probably a mix between bad economy and the usual flash in the pan breeders going out, but what I find very interesting usually is a lot of times these "herd reduction" sales are about 3 animals, I understand that if you have 10 animals that might be quite a few. But then usually these are also something like 3 males, or something odd like that.

Technically if I sell ONE chinchilla it's a herd reduction sale, because I reduced my herd, even if only by one chin.

What do you feel a herd reduction sale is? I've also seen people saying they're going to sell out their herd, but then keep animals. Isn't selling out the act of selling everything out? If I have 100 animals and I sell out, that doesn't mean I keep 50 of them and sell the rest right?

Well, we're undergoing a herd "renovation" sale - trying to move out some of our animals that no longer have a place in our program because we are no longer working with violets and need to make room for more animals that will be of benefit. But that's different.

To me, a herd reduction is cutting your numbers down by a number you feel will make a difference in your herd. If that's just a couple of strings, fine. If it's half of your animals, that's fine too. I consider it a herd reduction even if you keep a few animals - selling out would be selling everything in my mind (except maybe those animals you're attached enough to to keep as pets - I have a list of a few who would never go anywhere).

I think herd reductions are beneficial from time-to-time, especially if you take the time to take stock of your animals and breedings and make positive changes. But I think the term can be overused by people just looking to unload animals that never sold after they were born or something.

I think "herd reduction" has become a euphemism for "culling." So has "selling out" for that matter. As always, buyer beware.

For me a herd reduction would be 25-50% of your animals. I had a "herd reduction" last year when I found out I had cancer. I went from approx 70 animals to 30. A lot of the animals I really didn't want to see go, so to me it really wasn't a cull per say. If your revamping your herd than it's culling. Animals you don't need/want for whatever reason.
I could easily see someone selling out, and keeping their favorites. I too have some old timers that I'm rather attached to, and would keep for as long as "I" or "they" have breath!!!

For me when I see either I make my decision on what it means by who it is who is selling, the BYBs here I think got in over their head and can't sell the kits or they are tired of chinchillas or some drama event in their lives they spout out as a reason to sell. Reputable breeders I just think its culling out the duds.

Herd reduction should be if you have 75 and are reducing to 50 not selling 25 and buying 25 new ones. That is culling no reducing.and selling out is just that selling out....but people often try to word things so they sound better. There is nothing wrong as a breeder to cull lower quality and replace with higher..that is how you improve your lines. Call it what it is

Herd reduction should be if you have 75 and are reducing to 50 not selling 25 and buying 25 new ones. That is culling no reducing.and selling out is just that selling out....but people often try to word things so they sound better. There is nothing wrong as a breeder to cull lower quality and replace with higher..that is how you improve your lines. Call it what it is

Good point!

I agree with starleomach- a reduction is cutting down the number of animals significantly to streamline an operation or reduce its scope.
Selling out does not necessarily mean getting rid of all animals. If I was a dog breeder and sold out, I could still keep a few as pets, just get out of the breeding game.

I agree that we should call things what they are, be it culling or herd reduction. The problem with calling it culling is that culling has gained a seriously negative connotation. Often times people will completely avoid any animals that are called culls, even the pet only people. To me it is a relative thing, without necessarily meaning bad quality animals, just not my best either. If someone has culls that will improve my herd, I am just as happy to buy them as those animals labeled herd improvement. But I can see how most people would avoid anything labeled cull and so the term isn't used as much as it should be.

As far as herd reduction goes, to me it counts as a reduction if you reduce your numbers and then stay at that reduced number. Instead of selling a number off and then replacing them, which to me would be culling/improving.

Selling out to me means everything goes. If anything stays it is not for breeding and is just a pet.

Herd reduction - means a reduction in your herd. Whether it is five in a herd of ten or fifty in a herd of seventy or eighty. That is just my opinion.

Selling out - should really mean just that. You're letting everything go. Not just a few, and not to buy more later.

I do agree, culling has been given a negative thought to it. Such as undesired chinchillas being culled, when it may not necessarily be that.
I have never done a selling out(or else I would have no chinchillas right now!), but have done a herd reduction before, for health/illness reasons on my own part.

I never did replace them for breeding - and so I was true to my "herd reduction".

And that is how it should be, too. Pretty simple to follow, but I know some people are sneaky and say they are selling out, when they aren't - or say they are reducing their herd - when the entire time they plan to just get more chinchillas. :(

One thing Ralph Shoots said once ( or so I was told ) is that the worst chin in his herd, is very well the best chin is someone else's, or something to that extent. I've gained a lot of quality animals on that aspect, I'm always scouting the "non-breeder" lists that the bigger breeders put out and I've gotten some awesome animals that way.

Technically I have 5 animals for sale, so that's a herd reduction. To me a herd reduction sale should not include babies you bred unless they were used for breeding. You didn't necessarily produce them expecting to keep them all for use in your herd, you knew that you didn't have use for 10 standard male kits...

Back