Fleece Liner Odor?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

hedgepig

Hello!
You may remember my other post asking about Fleece liners, but now I have a question about the odor?
I went to the store and bought a big fleece blanket and folded it over a few times and put in my hogs cage (btw, he took it rather well, only a little shocked at first that I would even come close to doing something like this) But now it's a few days later and his cage sort of smells, not a horrible odor, just a small odor. I was confused at this because he's never smelled before.
So then I was wondering if I should just buy the professinal fancy fleece with the obsorbent thing in the middle? Or should I wash it every few days (even though it's only been 3 days) ?

With the liners you'll have to change out the liner as soon as it is necessary. Sometimes this is every other day, sometimes every few days and sometimes once per week with very clean hedgies. Its smelling because he's urinating on it so I'd replace them frequently.

The best thing to do is have a few liners (I suggest 3 or 4) and then you can just change them out every few days, but only do laundry once per week.

I don't have hedgies, but I use liners for my chin cage. I wash them at least twice a week and I don't have a big problem with smell. The more you wash them, the better because smell can't accumulate or soak in. *IMPORTANT FOR WHEN YOU DRY* - DON'T use a dryer sheet! Dryer sheets cause some types of fleece to get those little lint balls all over them and they aren't as soft. Just FYI! ;)

Thank-you everyone for all your answers!
I'm probably going to buy a few more fleece blankets, but would I be better off just buying a fancy one with the obsorbent thing in the middle? Do you think that would reduce the odor or would all the waste sit on top?

I sew my own and I put an absorbent "core" out of padding material in the middle. I don't know that it would really matter, though, just experiment!

If you got the one's with the absorbant inside it would help soak up any liquid, but you would probably still have to change just as frequently. You would still need at least two.

Back