Whats the deal on treats?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkpiggy1989

'No they're not bunnies'
So I am slightly new here, and I do want to apologize in advance if I offend anyone, but I just have a quick question about feeding your chin a treat every now and then. Now I know 'treats' such as raisins, fruit, nuts, and anything high in sugar is dangerous to chins due to health reasons, but I've also been told oats, un-frosted mini wheats, and cheerios are safe, in MODERATION of course! I've seen so may people on here post asking what kinds of treats can be given and the majority of the members(not all) reply with 'they don't need them so don't give them' or 'treats are not a necessary part of a chins diet'. Well with that being said, chocolate cake or ice cream isn't necessary to OUR diet but its still nice to be rewarded with a treat every now and then, isn't it? While I'm all for making sure my chins aren't being stuffed full of sugar, I do think its okay for them to indulge in a cheerio every so often.

I'd just like to get a few others opinions on this, maybe theres something I'm missing? But as long as they treat is 'safe', and fed in MODERATION, I don't see what the big fuss is all about?

Treats in moderation are okay, but they are not necessary. The point is that giving treats is more for people than for the chins. It makes us feel like we are spoiling them, but they don't NEED the treat.

So really there is no issue as long as moderation means more like one treat per week and not one or two treats per day. (Everyone has their own definition of moderation)...;)

Treats in moderation are okay, but they are not necessary. The point is that giving treats is more for people than for the chins. It makes us feel like we are spoiling them, but they don't NEED the treat.

Just as WE don't NEED all the junk food and sweets we eat, but people still do it anyways. My chins get 1-2 cheerios weekly, and I think thats plenty enough. But some people act like your committing murder or something by spoiling your chin once or twice a week. I get that its an 'owners choice' for what he/she wants to feed their chins, but I don't see why some owners attack others just because they give them treats?

Rather than food as a treat, new chew sticks or toys benefit the teeth, last longer and makes them just as happy. I don't muck up my chins diets with treats, after you deal with bloat once, treats go out the door and stay there.
Being their diets are supposed to be low in nutrition and high in fiber for dental and digestive health, treats don't fit in that category, so there is no need to unbalance the delicate digestive/dental system.

Last edited:
I have used to think the same thing. I mean we would be totally healthy eating nutrition bars, but would we be happy? Then you have to think of it as they have no idea what they are missing. They dont know that there are rose hips, cheerios, shreedies, etc. out there. Sort of like, if you never had ice cream you wouldnt crave it or want it because you wouldnt miss it.

Confusing topic but makes you think.

Just as WE don't NEED all the junk food and sweets we eat, but people still do it anyways. My chins get 1-2 cheerios weekly, and I think thats plenty enough. But some people act like your committing murder or something by spoiling your chin once or twice a week. I get that its an 'owners choice' for what he/she wants to feed their chins, but I don't see why some owners attack others just because they give them treats?

Honestly I've never really seen anyone attacking anyone else because they give treats, especially if they are doing so in moderation and with healthy treats. I always see people explain about moderation but not freaking out because someone wants to give their chins treats. Generally people asking about treats are giving 5 raisins a day and it takes some emphasis to explain why that's not good.

I personally don't give treats anymore than once a week and my chins are perfectly happy. When do they do get a treat they get a small pinch of either rose hips, oats, or a chin cookie. They do however get various chew toys every day.

Last edited:
The times we point out treats aren't necessary is when people say while I give this and this and this what else can I give.... Seems like people are always wanting more and more options. The more you introduce to a diet the more potential problems can arise. People really need to stick to the basics

Yes, and there's a reason why the US leads the world in obesity. Just because I stuff a candy bar in my mouth and watch my butt expand, doesn't mean I would do that to my chins. My dogs don't get table scraps. It's not healthy for them unless you have them on a diet that specifically calls for it like the BARF diet. My horses don't get Doritos or sugar cubes or pop. They get hay, a non-molasses grain/oat mixture, and water.

Take a look at how many larger breeders lose chins to bloat compared to pet owners. In 10 years I have lost one. I don't do treats. I do wood chews, hay cubes, hay, rosehips, maybe a pinch of oats, and I will use a half a bite sized shredded wheat if I need a weight or to see if someone is off their food.

I am one of the folks who will say that giving a chin a treat is for you, not for them. If they never had one, they can't miss it, and trust me, rather than processed food for humans, they are just as thrilled with an old fashioned oat or a wood chew.

I also agree that the people who tend to get jumped on are the folks who are informed that raisins are not a healthy treat for their chin, but who immediately get defensive and start telling everyone that their chins have 10 raisins a day and they are just FINE. Well, maybe for now. But how much of their lives did you shorten?

I feel bad about putting Bag Balm on Sebastian's feet nightly since he hates it, so I usually give him a twig to chew after that. Otherwise I've just been giving a few pieces of crushed rose hip after his playtime 2 or 3 nights a week. He thinks rose hips are like candy! I also give a plain shredded wheat rolled in acidolphilus (sp?) maybe twice a month.

Sugar is not good for chinchillas. I know this because Edgar had a problem with a bacteria due to getting too much. I felt we had been careful but it still happened. We've given up giving any treats with sugar and the chinchillas love the new treats just as much.

The reason I am against too many treats for any of my pets is that if they are eating junk food where are they going to get the proper nutrition. I want my guys to be happy and healthy for a long time so we make sure they eat the foods that are good for them. Besides my guys are pets and I want them to come to see me not get a treat for our interaction.

Back