All Natural Diet?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

stormyhogs

Has anyone fed a more natural diet to their hedgehogs? I really would like to get away from feeding dry cat food because I don't really feel that is something they should be eating, plus my hedgehogs despite the little amounts given of a "diet" low fat higher protein cat food (from the lists) they are, well one especially, severely overweight.

Has anyone ever just fed a diet consisting of mealworms or other worms, crickets, chicken (and other meats), along with fruits and veggies? I was thinking of making my own sort of mash or concoction lol.. of a combination of these foods to feed them fresh every night. I would think it would be more similar to their diet in the wild, for the most part, and would allow for different textures, not just the hard crunchy dry food. Possibly with some of the cat food mixed in, in extreme moderation.. What are your opinions of this?

Are there any other ideas? Thanks.

If you are worried about obesity you are not going to want to feed crickets and mealies and fruits and veggies. Those are treats and should be fed in moderation. You also are not going to want to feed a soft"er" food diet because the crunchies will help to keep their teeth clean. Hedgehogs have been eating cat food for YEARS and they are perfectly healthy eating it. You also have to remember, the hedgehogs we have as pets are hybrids and not really found in nature. So there isnt a way to copy their natual diet since there isnt one.

What makes you think your hedgehogs are severely overweight? Unless they cant roll up in a ball or have extremely large rolls under the arms and around the thighs they are not overweight. They are just like people and come in all different shapes and sizes.

Back