Amount and Crickets

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

neuroticbeing

Hi everyone.

What's the amount of kibbles should my hedgie eat everyday?
Spike loves his new food and he eats them nonstop, but Im wondering, whats the daily amount he should eat. He eats Royal Canin dog food OBESITY MANAGEMENT

Another thing is that, I recently bought him crickets, but when I gave him one cricket he completely ignored it, so the cricket ran away xD I think he has never eaten crickets before,but it's really important that he eats them :/ What can I do?

I suggest you use a cat kibble rather than dog. Dog kibbles are usually bigger and harder and can cause premature wearing of their teeth.

If he is a baby, he will eat quite a bit of food and should have food available at all times. I suggest giving him two tablespoons in the evening and see how that works. Check it in the morning and you may have to add a bit more. By evening, toss the old and start with fresh. Once you get a routine going, you will know how much he eats and should be able to give him enough food that only a few kibbles are left so you are not wasting food.

As he gets older, he will eat less and you can adjust the amount accordingly.

Sometimes it takes a while for them to figure out bugs are to be eaten. Babies especially sometimes need to be taught. Crickets can be more difficult because they do hop away. Just keep trying and he may catch on but not all hedgehogs even like bugs. lol

Back