Would this cage be okay for a hedgie

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also I do not understand how to keep a hedgehog warm. Do you use a heat lamp or a heat pack or some other kind of heat source.

It depends on what you are comfortable with. Two common types are to use a space heater to keep the entire room warmer or to use a ceramic heat emitter above the cage. Search around in the housing forum, you should find threads that describe how the CHEs are setup. AS well as a thread of images of cage setups.

I personally use a space heater. But I have multiple cages and it is just easier to keep the entire room warmer.

Would it be okay to keep the hedgie in the hallway and have a space heater blow towards the cage. The reason I like the hallway os because I keep my chinchilla in my room. I also like the hallway because I can put the cage under a picture that has a timed picture light.

A hallway would be fine as long as it isn't drafty or too much traffic in the hall.

Ceramic heat emitters with a thermostat is a great setup as it will only heat the cage and the rest of the room will stay the temperature you like it to be. Of course if you like the room to be cold, then that wouldn't work. lol

Yeah I would keep the hedgie in my room however my Chin's cage is in my room and he needs it cold and that wouldn't work for a hedgehog.

The Marchioro cage is much better than a bin. The wheel it comes with is a Silent Spinner which are not hedgie safe. They have slits in the running tread and also the running tread is two pieces both that can catch hedgie nails and toes. The Silent Spinner also tips over easily and can injure hedgie plus both the nut at the back and the one at the front frequently come undone causing the wheel to fall.

You can buy fleece and cut your own liners. Water bowls are better for hedgies than bottles.

IMO, the only thing good about those kits are the Lixit igloos.

The best wheel available right now is the Caroline Storm wheel. Larry is great to deal with. http://www.carolinastormhedgehogs.com/the-carolina-storm-wheel.html

Back