Article on Light that nobody can find...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoof

Kung Fu Chinny!
It was a study done by the Kline foundation that looked at lighting type in barns and the sex ratio of baby chinchillas.

Still haven't seen the original, but ran across a chunk of quoted text in this article.

It's quoted frequently in UV light studies, not sure where the full version is hiding.

Attachments

• is_ultraviolet_light_really.pdf
    42.7 KB · Views: 106
VERY interesting reading - explaines a lot, like the chins in homemade cages, with only a screen on the front, [but screened vents, too] were producing more males!
The wire cages, which caught some sunlight, had many more females, too!
Then I considered my late Great Aunt, who wore glasses, never sunglasses, and worked in her garden all day, in the sun! Cataracs at 75, blind at 85, but lived to 104!
Hope you find the rest of the article - thanks!

I really tried looking for this, but haven't come up with much sucess either. The only thing I found about this study is that when it was referred to and footnoted in a book called "Environmental Variables in Animal Experimentation," (1974), the study was documented as "Personal communications. Mrs. Alice Kline, Kline Chinchilla Research Foundation, Utica, Illinois." So maybe it was a more informal study that wasn't written up in a journal, and just Alice Kline and whoever helped her do the study and statistics have the information and notes on everything. So, maybe her notes were passed on to someone? Maybe MCBA/ECBC would know more about this study? Maybe there is someone still out there who worked with her first hand on this "experiment" that could tell us more?

I'll still keep looking though.

Hmmm, this is a fascinating study. It especially interests me since I have a personal affinity for anything natural.

Florescent light bulbs drive me up a wall with the fake glow and hum. Then I found full spectrum light bulbs, which have proved to be much easier on the eyes. So I have full spectrum bulbs in the chin room, where so far the babies born have been 2/3 females. There is also a large double hung window in the room that allows for a more natural flux of seasons.

It might be that the combinations of natural light and full spectrum bulbs have enhanced my herd's production of females. At any rate, I have no plans to change my set up and rather like the results.

I found it kinda interesting that even the color projected on the other animals changed their behavior.... but I think I will try and get some full spectrum bulbs down in the chin room because there isnt that much natural sunlight coming through

A bit of data I compiled after reading this article & others (plan to share it at the WI seminar, too, and ask what others have found):

Kit ratio when conceived under my disastrous selection of stupid pink insulation to go around my air conditioner: 13 males, 2 females. Kit ratio conceived when I removed pink insulation and put in daylight bulbs & a blue curtain over the window: 10 females, 2 males (so far). WHAT WAS I THINKING?! Never again... :hair:

Yea, for this to really work you have to cover all outside light and have a completely isolated blackout style room. Even small changes in light affect cycle times.

Wendy - that's quite a difference!
I'd really be interested in anyone's input on this, especially those using runs!
Wonder how to get them even? [if so desired]

Just got off the phone with a friend who's not a member, that has 45 chins in a huge barn w/ no windows, but is climate controlled. [she also breeds Samoyeds]
She says her ratio is around 50/50, and she only has floresencent lighting!
Could it be temp designating sex?
I know it's the deteminating factor with tropical fish!

One article I read said "skyblue coloramic" (an incandescent bulb that emits both red & blue light) lead to the birth of both sexes more equally. Not sure what today's version of skyblue coloramic is!

This is very interesting to me as it was the same trends found with many reptiles from breeders. Now breeders incubate eggs at different temperature to achieve different results. For example, most breeders who seel to retail pet locations keep their temperatures high to produce mostly females as their temperaments are generally calmer and can often be housed together, where as males fight. Not to mention, temperature sexing also avoids pregnancies in pet stores. It is not 100% accurate, but pretty reliable. :0)

Back