Rearranging cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

hedgepig

Do you think that hedgehogs would mind if you rearranged the cage once in a while? I'm getting a little bored with the layout now, so I was thinking of mixing it up. But I didn't want to freak him out or anything, so do you think he would be okay with it?

It depends on the hedgie. Some you absolutely cant rearrange their cage because they get stressed and others dont have a problem with it.

Perhaps just move one thing at a time and see how the hedgie reacts... For example, if moving the wheel causes green poop, stop there and don't move anymore stuff.

Personally, I could throw her cage in a tornado and she wouldn't care as long as her food dish stayed in place. :)

Two of mine couldn't care less. As long as their wheel and dishes are somewhere in the cage, they're fine. Kismet gets very stressed when I move anything in her cage (I suspect she's blind or in the process of going blind), so I try to keep everything as is. When she gets stressed, she goes off her food, has green runny poop and gets very huffy. She'll simply spin in circles, looking distressed.

Play it by ear. I used to move Hemi's cage all the time, rearrange it or build her a completely new enclosure. It never affected her and she always found her way around. In fact, I think she enjoyed it.

Back