What treats can I safely give my chinchillas

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremiah Love Shelton

Jeremiah Love Shelton
Every article I've read says something different. Carrots, celery, Cheerios, shredded wheat, Rose hips, mountain Ash berries, dandelion leaves, hawthorn leaves, nettle leaves, red clover leaves, chamomile flowers, marigold flowers, and on and on.

I'd like to find a variety of safe treats but everyone says something different.

Any help would be amazing.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

I think too much stuff online is outdated, or using outdated info or simply comparing chinchillas to rabbits and guinea pigs or other rodents in general. First off, fruits and vegetables are too high in sugars and water, they can cause all kinds of issues. Seeds and nuts are too high in fats, and animal products (eggs, milk, bone, hide, meat, antler, etc) chins can't digest. In very very small amounts (like pink part of a pinky nail size) some fruit, veggies, seeds, and nuts are ok on occasion, but it is unhealthy junk food to them. It's easier and doesn't hurt them to just say not to give any at all.

Some cereals are ok, Cheerios and Shredded wheat as you mentioned, and slow cook oats, but only a piece a couple times a week. As for herbs, the best list I've found is from Fuzzies Kingdom not only does it list what is safe, it tells you why, as well as how much and how often you can feed it.

If your looking for more of a daily treat type of thing, the only item thats really an option are twigs. (fyi; they msut be a safe wood type, grown, cultivated, and prepared specially. You cant jsut grab them off the ground.)

Most chins like them. Tho many might like certain kinds and not others. And its possible to get bored with the same one over and over. It depends on your chin. I have some that dont bother as much, and others that have never turned one down.

They chew the bark off them. Which gives the added effect of something safe to chew on. Which is a big big plus. They always need safe things to chew on.

There are several vendors out there if you want to look around.
http://www.rondaschins.com/WoodPerPound.shtml
is one.

Back