My poor nibbie

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohi

Hello forum,

Ive been a member for quite some time but never posted anything up untill now and unfortunately its not a good post..:(

I bought nibbie from a pet store back in 2009 and when i got him he look like an adult already, unfortunately a few days ago took him to the vet due to his poops looking weird and smelt off and some were chained together...(but his poops are back to normal now) we did an ultrasound to make sure everything is ok we found an abdominal grape sized hard mass, Due to his age the dr is saying surgery could be risky its a 50/50, im just broken honestly cant believe such a thing could happen, over the course of these wonderful 9 i did nothing but take excellent care of him..bought him high quality pellets and we played with him hours on end got him a mate to start a family and he did we have 6 now, its just that hes the first and my favorite im just heart broken about the situation...
Guys is 11 or 12 old for a chin? Can chins get grape sized tumors in thier abdomen due to age, could this mass be an abscess or actinomyces infection that mimics tumors? He seems to be in pain but hes eating pooping drinking, hes just not running around as much he used too although he does move around a little,...dr wants to the do surgery and im just terrified to go with it,
I thought it was bloat but hes pooping plentiful and hes not stretching and his tummy doesn't look distended at all....has anyone encountered such an issue like this...please let me know.

Aside from a tumor it could be an abscess, did they do a needle biopsy? If it's an abscess when they stick a needle in they would get puss out. Another thing that comes to mind is a possible blockage, likely a partial one if he is still pooping.

Chins are not prone to tumors or cancers like rats for example, but since you got him from a pet store I'm guessing you have no idea of his ancestry or possible genetic issues. 11 or 12 is getting up there, but chins can live 15-20 years in captivity, some even longer.

Hey amethyst thanks for ur post, no we didn't do a needle biopsy just an ultra sound, it could be abcess but how on earth would he get an abcess/ cyst when he didn't get an injury or trauma that could cause it, And if he has a partial blockage how can I help fix it...

He could have swallowed something he shouldn't have, like say a wood splinter. Something that normally would pass or be digested but it nicked him inside. If it is a blockage even a partial one, it may still require surgery, depending on what it is. Normally gut mobility drugs are used first to see if it will move through on it's own.

I didn't rule out that it could be a tumor, just giving you some ideas of what else it could be if not a tumor. I would have another ultra sound done, see if the mass has moved, as well as have them stick a needle in it to see what comes out. You may still end up having to do surgery, but at least then you can rule out anything that might not actually need surgery to correct.

Sorry for not replying for a while we were at the vet all week, unfortunately my baby passed away today at 1:43 PM, necropsy did infact show a huge tumor and not a blockage, huge tumor of the cecum....poor guy I have never felt a pain like this in my life not even when a human a relative passed away.....thank you amethyst for your concern and replies...nibbie is with his daughter now....rest in peace my baby.....

Back