How do I handle my chin without losing it's trust?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1tsjess

Hey!

So I'm getting my chins in a months time (yay!) however I'm just wondering how do you get them back in their cage after play time? I'm only anticipating letting them out for exercise for about 10 minutes to begin with (they'll be 5-6 months old) but how do I get them back in without ruining any trust I would be beginning to form?

Tia! :)

I use playpen to surround the cage during playtime and leave the cage doors open. My chin would hop back to the cage on her own throughout her time out. When you feel that they have enough playtime, just close the cage doors when they go back to their cage. This way, I never have to chase after my chin. I also think that they feel more secured having their home nearby while exploring new environment. Sometimes I let her out in the bathroom and if I cannot catch/hold her, I actually just move her cage into the bathroom (if your cage has wheels) and she would go back on her own.

I use playpen to surround the cage during playtime and leave the cage doors open. My chin would hop back to the cage on her own throughout her time out. When you feel that they have enough playtime, just close the cage doors when they go back to their cage. This way, I never have to chase after my chin. I also think that they feel more secured having their home nearby while exploring new environment. Sometimes I let her out in the bathroom and if I cannot catch/hold her, I actually just move her cage into the bathroom (if your cage has wheels) and she would go back on her own.

Ahh okay!! That's good to hear, thankfully we have a nice smallish size room for them to play in and have their cage in (and also quite conveniently chin proof haha)

Never underestimate the power of a dust bath if you're having too much trouble. I'm not sure what kind of cage you have but I've conditioned my chins when I say "Time to go home" they'll jump into the cage knowing I'll give them an oat and praise. They love being doted over haha

also worth noting that chins under 6 months shouldnt have any play time or wheels. They need there calories to focus on growing correctly. They also dont have a fully developed system and can over heat very easily with any exercise.

also worth noting that chins under 6 months shouldnt have any play time or wheels. They need there calories to focus on growing correctly. They also dont have a fully developed system and can over heat very easily with any exercise.

ohh okay thank you!!! I wasn't sure if they needed none or minimal, but I'll keep that in mind :) Thank you!

Reward with a Snack

I also like to leave a rose hip petal in the cage for her to discover when she has hopped back in by herself, so that she finds another reason to be happy when playtime is over.

Back