Flea question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinchillalover0927

to many chin chips??
I got my first hedgehog a few days ago. A little albino female ! My question is what can I put on camber for fleas ?? She was infested when I brought her home and I've had two flea bites on me since I've gotten her home . Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 18
I cannot find what camber is. Do you have a link to the product?

It would be best to go through a vet for flea meds so they can dilute the medicine and give you a proper dosage. Guessing at the dosage can kill the animal. I had one moronic vet tell me you can't overdose advantage just drip it on and then killed two of my flea infested dwarf hamsters. The experienced exotics vet compounded a mixture of revolution with syringes marked for the dosage and managed to save the rest.

Congrats on your new little quilly bundle of joy!

We end up hearing a lot more about mites than fleas in hedgies. Revolution is the treatment of choice for mites and I understand that it also works for fleas. As such, that's what I'd recommend. You'll need to get it from a vet.

I would stay away from the OTC treatments like Advantix. And absolutely stay away from Ivomec/Ivermectin as that has proven fatal in hedgies... despite what some vets will insist.

Camber is her name lol ...

And ok thanks you guys !! We sprayed her with flea treatment stuff and then I brought her inside and immediately bathed her because I had to get all the fleas off her before I brought her home . I'm just concerned about eggs on her 😳

I know this is a few days old and you may not have an issue at this point (if something like Revolution was used properly), but just for the sake of knowing- Adult fleas are the only thing that stays on the animal. Once they reproduce, the eggs fall off into the environment. If a topical was used, then it shouldn't be any major concern since she was only there a few days. But even just a bath would take care of the immediate problem with there being adult fleas on her, the topical would help prevent them if there are some that have jumped off of her, as they will make there way back at some point.
What I would be more concerned with would be making sure the environment is properly cleaned. If she was spending a lot of time in a particular area, assume the eggs fell off and are now in that location, waiting to turn into larvae and eventually into adults. Washing any material in the washing machine would help, as well as regularly vacuuming (both carpet and solid flooring, doesn't matter with fleas) to help stimulate the eggs to hatch and essentially die once they get back on her and the topical prevention. Also keep in mind that the microscopic larvae also like dark places, so if she was spending a lot of time on the floor, for example, once the eggs hatch they will crawl under the nightstand, bed, couch, etc.
It can take up to 3 months to properly get rid of an infestation due to the life cycles and the number of eggs one pair of fleas can lay (make note that I'm not saying you have an infestation since she was only there for a few days), so you may want to keep up with the prev. Not only on her, but if you have any dogs or cats that don't have flea prevention then it wouldn't be a bad idea to start them on it before a small problem gets out of hand.

Don't intend to make this into a bigger deal then it is, but just thought you might be interested in knowing in case you notice the situation getting worse, or going away for a month w/the topical then appearing again.

Back