What supplies do hedgehogs have to have (besides tons if toys)?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am wondering, what do you guys think you need for a hedgehog? Shelters and breeders have given me lists, but I want to know what you guys think. :)

Solid bottom cage of at least 4sq ft
fleece liner for cage
possibly some items to weigh down fleece liner if you have a liner diver
bucket or saucer wheel with solid running surface
proper cat food (less than 15% fat, between 30-35% protein)
There's a list around of acceptable cat foods if you go looking
water bowl
hedgie bag for sleeping, they prefer it to a house especially those plastic igloos that let in too much light and can't be snuggled in to
They don't play too much with toys but some like plastic cat balls (throw away any foam ones that come in the pack) and light weight, mostly paper, bird toys

To akane's list, I'd add a reliable heat source. The specific type will depend on the type of cage you choose.

To akane's list, I'd add a reliable heat source. The specific type will depend on the type of cage you choose.

I'm assembling a place before a new hedgie will move in and am curious if the "human" source of heat like this will be acceptable and good enough? I thought to make a room where his container is as comfortable as possible to let the buddy walk around comfortably.

Is there heat in the room where he will be? I'm asking because I'm unsure why you need a space heater in the room.

I'm assembling a place before a new hedgie will move in and am curious if the "human" source of heat like this will be acceptable and good enough? I thought to make a room where his container is as comfortable as possible to let the buddy walk around comfortably.
I’ve been involved with hedgies/hedgie rescue for 24years, have always had them in my living room as it was/is the larger room of any home I’ve had and subjects them to at least moderate socializing daily. I keep the thermostat set on 70. My current apartment in Colorado has a large window that allows passive solar heat. I have a space heater near the entrance set at 69... In colder temps, the space heater will kick in at times I have a lot to carry in or out (like groceries and larger holiday purchases) so the colder air never gets to fully penetrate the living room. It seldom is needed.
Be careful of heat lamps and heat pads that don’t have a temperature regulating ability as they can overheat a spot. Human heating pads usually have temperature settings and can be placed under part of a hedgie condo, not in, set on low.
For travel (vets, vacations, shows) and as emergency heat during power outages, you can use an air activated hand warmer wrapped in a sock and place in a corner of a travel carrier or under an area of the condo.
Teresa

I’d like to add a bit concerning igloos and/or hiding places: Some of my hedgies never liked those plastic igloos. Most, however, do. I provide at least one fleece blanket approximately 19-20” square inside igloos to burrow into.
Several of my current rescues prefer just a blanket or two, no igloo and at least one is a chronic liner lump, lol.
As for toys, some will play with them, some prefer only their wheel and food bowl. But I offer toys anyway just to keep condos other than boring. Here are some examples:
Small plastic cat balls, with or without bells/rattles.
Colored balls made for ferrets, like ping pong balls only mixers colors!
Assorted soft plush toys. I have some small and some larger that hedgies can tumble and hide under... like a pterodactyl with a wing span of about a foot... My kids like to sleep and hide out under the wings. I can’t stress getting good quality plush that can withstand laundering. Except for a few catnip toys (after a few laundering’s there’s no real catnip smell left and fresh ones have a pleasant minty scent that may lead to anointing!) most of the plush is actually intended for human kids and very durable.
4” PVC pipe, elbows, “Y’s”, straight, can be nice tunnels and hiding spots easy to clean.
Bathroom paper cups can be a safer alternative to popular use toilet paper tubes. Toss in several and watch your hedgie push them around til they’re stacked together!
Teresa and the HedgeHerd

Is there heat in the room where he will be? I'm asking because I'm unsure why you need a space heater in the room.

I thought about additional heating. And everywhere I search I see that different types of heaters are used or recommended.

I’d like to add a bit concerning igloos and/or hiding places: Some of my hedgies never liked those plastic igloos. Most, however, do. I provide at least one fleece blanket approximately 19-20” square inside igloos to burrow into.
Several of my current rescues prefer just a blanket or two, no igloo and at least one is a chronic liner lump, lol.
As for toys, some will play with them, some prefer only their wheel and food bowl. But I offer toys anyway just to keep condos other than boring. Here are some examples:
Small plastic cat balls, with or without bells/rattles.
Colored balls made for ferrets, like ping pong balls only mixers colors!
Assorted soft plush toys. I have some small and some larger that hedgies can tumble and hide under... like a pterodactyl with a wing span of about a foot... My kids like to sleep and hide out under the wings. I can’t stress getting good quality plush that can withstand laundering. Except for a few catnip toys (after a few laundering’s there’s no real catnip smell left and fresh ones have a pleasant minty scent that may lead to anointing!) most of the plush is actually intended for human kids and very durable.
4” PVC pipe, elbows, “Y’s”, straight, can be nice tunnels and hiding spots easy to clean.
Bathroom paper cups can be a safer alternative to popular use toilet paper tubes. Toss in several and watch your hedgie push them around til they’re stacked together!
Teresa and the HedgeHerd

Thank you for your answer, Teresa!
That's even more than I asked. And if you mentioned toys, I'd like to use the moment and ask about fluffy toys or other things. I presumed that it would be nice for him to have something warm and fluffy.

LOL I have a large African market basket filled to overflowing with assorted plush/soft toys. Small plush catnip toys (smell will not harm hedgies and after a few launderings it’s pretty much washed out to where the catnip is nothing more than stuffing. Then there is the big pterodactyl which usually travels with us when we do educational events. At one such event I had four of my girls together in a coral. Shortly after noon they had all “worked” a shift of being petted by the crowds of humans, ran on the wheel and pushed toys around so folks could get a first hand experience of hedgehogs. One by one they began to push the pterodactyl so the wings were outstretched. Then they scooted under, two on each side of the body under a wing! Meanwhile my partner had his hedgies out for the latter part of the event while my gang had a nice cozy break.
I do many events each year at the Rocky Mountain Dinosaur Research Center and have acquired assorted size and style Dino’s for my hedgie kids. I’ve Aldo scored some wonderful plush at the grocery in the “holiday” or “seasonal” aisle...small plush meant for infants or toddlers. And, of course, there are some doggie made toys too. I always send the toys through the washer before offering them to the hedgies as you don’t know how they’ve been handled prior.
Many years ago I used colored plastic needlework mesh and flat plastic lacing to make lightweight plastic play blocks. Some were only an inch high by three to five inches square. This made it easy to put mealies on them and encourage hedgies to explore! I made cubes too for hedgies to push or maneuver around.
Teresa

FA94EF5A-B8D1-4AEF-86D1-203A013AFF5F.jpegOne little prickle butt under the pterodactyl. One sniffing out the crowd. Taken at vets office celebrating a newly built clinic/hospital. They stole the show, lol.

Back