Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Health & Hygiene
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Health & Hygiene Anything to do with the health or hygiene of a chinchilla - post it here!

Old 10-08-2017, 02:29 PM Canada

Question Dust baths, Foot soaks and Bandage Application

Hi all,
My little Squid has some pretty bad bumblefoot from poor husbandry on the past owners part So, the vet has directed me to give him an epsom salt soak once every 12 hours, followed by an antibacterial application and then cream (along with his antibiotics and anti-inflammatory/pain relief).

1. With such frequent foot soaks, should I increase how often I give him a dust bath? He currently only gets 1-2 dusts a week since I don't want his feet getting worse. Are there any precautionary things I should look out for with foot soaks? I know getting wet can lead to sickness in these little guys.

2. The cream doesn't absorb into the feet, so he vet suggested I hold him for 20-30 minutes while the cream sits. Squid gets grumpy just from 30 seconds of being held, let alone 30 minutes. Is there any way I could bandage his feet over the cream so he's not as stressed? Can I just apply bandaids? Is there a special way to bandage him?

Thanks everyone
Old 10-09-2017, 09:09 AM United States

Chinchillas: 3

I know epson salt can be used but since chinchillas feet are constantly around bacteria I prefer chlorhexidine soaks instead. Also what are the surfaces like in your cage? Pressure causes issues with healing so offer different types-fleece, solid, shavings etc, and keep those scrupulously clean during healing.

“When I buy cookies I eat just four and throw the rest away. But first I spray them with Raid so I won’t dig them out of the garbage later. Be careful, though, because that Raid really doesn’t taste that bad.”
Old 10-09-2017, 01:05 PM Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticklechin View Post
I know epson salt can be used but since chinchillas feet are constantly around bacteria I prefer chlorhexidine soaks instead. Also what are the surfaces like in your cage? Pressure causes issues with healing so offer different types-fleece, solid, shavings etc, and keep those scrupulously clean during healing.
The vet had instructed I do epsom salt soaks followed by a chlorhexidine soak, followed by antibacterial cream application.

The cage is fine, all fleece and apple wood. The vet said shavings aggravate bumbelfoot and should not be in a cage whatsoever in this scenario. He even said all wood perches should be covered in fleece. I have everything looked after concerning his cage though.

But both of my questions are still up.

1 - Should I increase dust baths since he's getting soaks every 12 hours? Is there anything I should look out for considering he is getting wet that often?
2 - How can I bandage his feet to reduce stress of being held so often?
Old 10-09-2017, 08:03 PM

I don't know about actual foot soaks but I have always just done more like compresses. Not sure how you can actually soak the feet without getting the belly wet? As far as bandaging feet goes I don't think you would have much success there. Plus if the purpose for the bandaging is to prevent him licking/ingesting the cream I would be afraid he would get the bandages off and still get it. Also I think that bandaging the feet would probably stress him just as much if not more than holding would.