Playful Biting?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeebeans

My chinchilla has been biting my husband. A little background, Gizmo is 1 yr 4 mos, and we have had him since this October.

I do not understand our little guy. My husband will have his hand in Gizmo's cage petting him, and Gizmo is always really happy, climbing all over his arms, stretching forward so he can nibble on his glasses and face, cooing the entire time. But recently, and this has happened maybe 4 or 5 times, Gizmo has started cooing, and has latched onto my husband's arm with his teeth, and starts pulling hard on his skin. This last time, he almost made my husband bleed. Gizmo is not upset when he bites and tugs, he is actually cooing and looks so content and happy!

We are unsure if Gizmo is playing rough without realizing it? And why the pulling?

some times chin can start nibbling a bit hard without realizing it. Some chins also have certain areas they dont like having touched.

If i had to guess, id say maybe hes horny. Is he wagging his tail a lot when this happens?

some times chin can start nibbling a bit hard without realizing it. Some chins also have certain areas they dont like having touched.

If i had to guess, id say maybe hes horny. Is he wagging his tail a lot when this happens?

No his tail does not move when this happens at all. it's completely still the entire time, and Gizmo actually bit and tugged on my skin a couple of days ago as well, so now my husband is not the only one he's doing it to. It happened the same way -- he cooed really fast, then latched onto my hand and kept tugging.

My chin does this in an attempt to move my hands from places she wants to go or to reach things I am blocking.

My chin does this in an attempt to move my hands from places she wants to go or to reach things I am blocking.

we are not blocking anything from him, he just looks so excited and hyper right before he latches on. i feel like maybe he is just so excited to see us and pet him

Back