Worried Chin Mama

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PikoriDelurio

I have a girl chinchilla thats about 1 1/2 years old and recently she's been wedging herself in the back corner of her cage and almost getting stuck, barking a lot more and recently I found something that looks just like blood in her cage. Her feet are fine and she still eats, drinks, plays with toys etc, but I'm worried about this sudden behavior. Could something be wrong?

Thanks!

How long have you had her? And has anything changed recently? New cage, moved, new pet, new noise, etc.

Blood will look like blood, and it'll usually have a ton of little paw prints in it, or if a paw is bleeding it'll be a bloody paw print everywhere they have hopped. Their pee is a dark amber color (orangy/red/yellow), so there is a chance what you are seeing is urine.

I've had her since she was born, actually, and yes I just recently got a new loft bed for my (very small) room where we stay together, and my room is a mess right now from putting it together. Plus the usual christmas time stress throughout my house. Perhaps it's just a little too much for her?

It probably is the stress of new noise and furniture and the mess in your room. Does she have anywhere in her cage to hide other than a corner? (like a hidey house, or a fleece tube) If not, I would get something for her that she can go inside to retreat from noise or stress. My chinchillas have fleece tubes, but they also enjoy empty 12-pack boxes - like the Coke fridge packs that the end cuts out of. I cut one of those in half and put half in each chinchillas cage. Marble just rips hers to shreds but ZZ actually goes in his. I change them out weekly since we have a caffeine addict in the house and have a plentiful supply.

Back