Rescue APPLICANTS

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sorting through the applications. A very few have been approved so far. Reference checking will continue tomorrow. A few apps will have some follow-up questions.

Some people will not be able to get chins due to logistical problems. Others because they need females and we have fewer of them than males. I will be as fair as I can. Amanda will be involved in the process for some oversight and to catch any confusions I perpetuate. Since we have more time, it will be used for the best interests of the chins.

First priority will be the larger numbers to other rescues (defined loosely). Then chins to adoptive homes that are the best offered that we can transport to. We'll see what is left and these will be sent to foster homes based on their probability of being adopted.

Please leave ego's at the door. This isn't a contest or a judgment on anyone's worthiness as a person. I care most about the chins. Whether I like you or not is not the question. Whether you have the respect of the general membership of C&H or CnF is important, as well as verifiable references, chin experience, and access to a chin vet.

I am not quite sure I'll approve me :).

Rick, I get you're doing a great job for these chins, but I really think you need to rethink your standards just a bit for the situation. I'd LOVE to adopt one or two of these chins, but by your standards, I shouldn't own a chin, let alone 7. Not everyone has room for 6' tall cages, or the money for multiple chin spins. I'd really hate to see you turn down some great homes because they don't fit your criteria. As long as someone is capable of providing quality chinchilla feed, a loving home, and a safe environment, they should be acceptable.

Last edited:
Allyson, yes there is transportation to FL. Rick is bringing them from New Orleans to Pensacola, Gloria is bringing them to Tallahassee, and I am grabbing them from Tallahassee and bringing them back to Jacksonville. Then Susan is coming up from St. Augustine to get some from me. If you are interested in adopting a new fur friend, please contact Rick with an application.

I know that Rick is also using expertise and advice from other people he trusts on finding good homes for these guys.

Like he said it's not a matter of if he likes you or not, or what you do or not, but based on how he feels the chin(s) will be cared for, he is getting second opinions from others because he doesn't want to pass up a home that would be a good home, because he didn't agree with something.

I had someone who had previously bad mouthed me all over who was begging me for a chin... I believe Rick's theory right now is the same thing I told her. I don't have to live with you, I just have to know the chin is well cared for. I felt she would care of the chin, but then... she ended up selling it anyway, claiming allergies, even though she'd owned chins before and we all know you don't "become" allegeric, either you are, or you aren't.

At the end of the night, if he's worried about the care of the chin he sent home with someone... then that is something he has to live with.

I'm not saying that you, or anyone else has too low of standards, or that they are or aren't capable of proper care, or that Rick's standards are too high, or too low, I'm just saying that he has taken on this responsibility, and he is the one who has to live with his actions.

>Not everyone has room for 6' tall cages, or the money for multiple chin spins

I understand. My habitat requirements for local adoption are a 2x2x4 and a chinspin. If I can get what I want for every chin I will. If I can't, I'll consider if the potential home is a good, experienced and proven one.

No one will be turned down only because they don't have a chinspin for the adoptee. But I cannot do a home visit for every chin and there lies the problem. I have to make a judgment based on very little and the chin needs to live with that.

Anyone, anywhere is free to apply for adoption and to make their case. Everyone will be taken very seriously. The higher the criteria that is met, the more likey for an approval.

Other 'rescues' getting Arlington chins have their own standards that they are free to use. I would greatly prefer most private adoptions be through another proven agency that can do a home visit.

Rick and others like him , I am sure, will have a very special place in heaven for all the hard and loving work they have done for these animals. It is almost unbelieveable all the work he has done

After talking to Kristi (she wanted to know where to send the $), it is clear I should have pointed out that those taking in several chins as rescues are free to charge and keep their regular adoption fees.

The truth

Rick and others like him , I am sure, will have a very special place in heaven for all the hard and loving work they have done for these animals. It is almost unbelieveable all the work he has done

I am so touched from what I have read on his behalf, as well as all the hours behind the scenes he is donating to this rescue. Mt. Zion Chins has this right, you will be rewarded greatly when your time comes....

It is nice to see the chinchilla comunity coming together so well for the benifit of the chinchillas.

MO IL route: At the moment, we may have as few as 8 chins for this route. If you are in MO, IL, WI, MI or MN we may have transport near you.

I am waiting for the last couple applications to be sent to me. If you haven't heard from me yet, please contact me. The count is 64.

The count is 66. We have transportation to eastern PA, sw NY, as well as central FL.

Back