I must taste like food...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tskoffina

My biggest huffy-butt, Kirk, who is really not enjoying quilling, takes about 5 minutes to stop huffng when I take him out. Then he spends about 5 minutes just sitting and licking my hand. Just now, or the first time, he's licking my underarm, and he bit me there twice...and annointed. He normally doesn't bite, just licks me. Anyone else have one who just likes to lick them?

Last edited:
Its a pretty common reaction for many hedgehogs. I've always believed that they are licking because of sweat and it probably tastes salty. Don't let him lick your underarms though, its a painful bite and well I cannot imagine antiperspirants or deodorants are good for them.

All of my hedgehogs pretty much do the same with my husband. He sweats a lot and I guess lets off a different smell and they'll lick him to death when hes holding them, then self-annoint. I think it's hilarious and too cute.

Such a cutie! I like his profile in the second picture. Pink nose!!!!!!!!!

Well that was a rare occurence, and I don't think it'll happen again. But he does like to just sit and lick my hand. I hadn't eaten anything, and I don't use lotion or anything. But night after night, he sits and licks my hand.

Back