Hand Feeding kits

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6Dusters

I'm sure on the other forum there was a wealth of information for taking care of kits when mom needs help. I don't have any animals that are breeding however I would like to add information to my book of chinchilla care. I have the formula for feeding kits. ( perhaps it should be posted again for other people who do not have the recipe ) What time schedule do you use to feed. From start of newborn to older kit? How long do you suppliment goat milk if you have to continue through the whole process. Some idea about when the kits still need forumula and are eating hay/pellets?? Also for those reading you will need a scale for weights. Keep mom on one level with the kits as well. Something else that just came to mind........when you have a large litter how do you address feedings to help out mom? ( when fighting is noticed ) Some people will not have a foster mom. And when to quit the assistance of supplimenting those large litters? If I missed anything I appreciate the additional input. Thanks everyone.

I hope, since you're writing a compilation (if it's not all your experiences/works it's not a book), I certainly hope you'll be crediting by name everyone from whom you've taken information that you're reprinting.

The information I was asking for is my own personal use. With that being said I pulled out my spiral book after getting my daughter off to the bus and see I do have the schedule and amounts. The only area I don't have covered is how long does one help out with a large litter and fighting kits?

You would most likely want to split up the kits and rotate every 2 hours or so. The other kit(s) need to be kept with dad, or a small cage with a heating pad under half of it. Hand feed the kits in between feedings too, if it is needed.

There is a complete FAQ on this under breeding and babies.

Back