Thinking about adopting out hedgie

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tskoffina

I have babies, not so youngg anymore, really, and I was thinking of adopting one out to make room for another I think needs help more. How do people do that and know they're going to good homes where they will be taken care of? I haven't made a decision yet, still trying to figure out how to do it all.

I hope you do not take this the wrong way, but unless you always planned to adopt out the babies that you had it is unfair to rehome one just to get another.

If it is the possibly pregnant pet store hedgehog that you are thinking of getting, what will you do is she is pregnant and has a large litter of babies that you have trouble adopting out? If your space is so limited that you have to re home one just to take her in, perhaps you need to seriously re-think this.

If you advertise to this community on CnH, you can pretty well know who you are giving the hedgie to, I would think. I would not advertise on Craiglist or anywhere like that.

Perhaps find someone here who can adopt the one that is possibly pregnant and who has space for her babies instead of re homing one of your existing hedgehogs?

You never know when rehoming or selling an animal if the person who buys it is going to be good. The best you can do is question them thoroughly and get their name, address, phone number, who their vet is and if they hesitate at all to give you the information, then rule them out. It's a gamble and you have to go with your gut feelings about people.

I can sell babies much easier than I can rehome the adults we get in. One thing with the babies is I always have a waiting list and waiting that 3-4 months to get a baby turns those in a rush spur of the moment off. With the adults there is no waiting period as they are here right now. I've had people ask about a baby and when I tell them the wait time then they want an adult. Obviously they are in a rush and it's not going to happen.

While I do not agree with getting rid of one to make room for another, rescues have to do that. We only have so much room, time and money to go around and when you reach the limit you have to re-home them. Be careful re-homing girls. There are a lot of people looking for cheap hedgehogs to breed. Buying breeding quality babies is too expensive so they go to craig's list, kijiji and the rescues trying to get cheap or free. That's why I have so many adult girls staying here.

I had origionally thought to sell / adopt out the babies when Lily had them, but I got attached, and they got names. If it were up to me I would move myself into the garage and devote whole rooms to the hedgies. Just trying to find a way to make everything work. And thinking about future. I don't think I could really give any up. Once they come in, they seem to stay.

Back