Silver kits

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Moonlight

I was wondering if anyone has any pics of silver kits? I've had a kit born here yesterday and while I think he's silver I'm not 100%, so I wondered if anyone has any pic's of kits that turned into silver adults?

Thanks
Fiona

I'm definately not an expert, but of all the times I search the internet on mutations I have never heard of silver chins. But I could be wrong.

Jean

They are Wilson whites that are a solid colour grey. It's more a description of the colour phase, just like Mosaic describes the pattern. Genetically Mosaics and Silvers are both WW's.

They are Wilson whites that are a solid colour grey. It's more a description of the colour phase, just like Mosaic describes the pattern. Genetically Mosaics and Silvers are both WW's.

I will never get the mutations and colors staight.

Jean

I wouldn't worry about it, true silvers are quite rare.

I took Tibbit to the MCBA NW chapter Fall Field Day and they classified his color as a silver white ebony. I need a cord to post pics though, sorry.

They will have a distinct slate blue color.

Can you see the silver in her tail? (They are both whites)
3266287337_06241e1913.jpg

4 weeks, that is when her underfur started lightening but I still could only tell by blowing into her fur
3266294239_5cc41bfb21.jpg

6 weeks, she was looking squirrelly for a while
3267123470_a2c05aaa85.jpg

her sister at 6 weeks, obviously there was no question she was a white because of her tail but she is darker silver
3267119426_319ba09af0.jpg

10 months, her sister is a little better and darker but hard to get a picture of
3134887568_4159bb8614.jpg

Thanks for the pics Classic Chinchillas, they are a huge help. It's very interesting to see the change and how they blossom into adults (I also find it difficult to take pics of whites) the Chin in the last pic does look very nice.

I now think my kit is a silver, he has a white tip to his tail and (what I would call) a slate blue slate head, his nose is nearly white with white whiskers and no colour pigment on his actual nose.

Here are a couple of pics, all be it that they aren't very good ones.

ML09M03c.jpg

ML09M03a.jpg

Last edited:
My understanding is silvers have no white on them at all when born.

They look like regular standards and gradually over the course of the next few months, they lighten up as they grow till they are like what Classic Chinchillas posted.
I have had three silvers ever born here in the 13 years I have been breeding.

This is the only pic I have of one of my silvers born here. It's not the clearest pic but you can see how his tail is not even white tipped.

smokey.jpg

Back