Autoposy report.. sometimes you can only trust your own instincts...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

ALS_WIS

to any admins, if you feel this belongs in an original post I made regarding the situation, please add this to it. I felt this is a different nature and topic in some cases and so made it a different post. SOrry if I made the wrong choice.

The reason I am writing this, is I would like to share the autopsy report I just got in the mail, made on my chinchilla after she died from pregnancy complications. I found out, due to this report, that the er physician, who is widley known as one of the best chinchilla and exotic doctors in this state, was grossly wrong, and from the beginning I was right about what was happening. I am going to share this report, ( the important info) . I am NOT in any way sugessting that people should throw a vet to the wind when things are wrong, but I want anyone who is new to breeding to know that if you are very sure about something when it comes to problems with your animals, or your guts are screaming something different, than voice it no matter how uninterested the vet seems, because things maybe could go better or differently.

Inthe beginning when I took her in, due to xrays, the vet at the er told me she had ONE half formed baby, who stopped forming around 2 months.

After she died, which was from surgery that she did not wake from, which I also tried less invasive oxytocin before that, I also signed a form wanting an autopsy done, or whatver they call them for animals, and also gave permission for her body to be used with the students to study chinchillas, because most of the techs didnt even know what she was.

The autoposy, findings, are that instead of just a bunch of blood and rotting in her right side from the half formed fetus being deteriorated, her right side was swollen, because there was a SECOND FULY FORMED FETUS THERE. on the left, there was the half one.

on the part where it says necropsy, which I am not exactly sure what it means, and I am not going to look, it says exactly: Fetus in right uterine horn severely necrotic and mid term (1/2 developed) ;fetus in left uterine horn late term fully developed, no other abnormalities at all.

Assessment: Mid term fetal death could occur with bacterial metritis, viral disease, or fetal trauma.

It says nothing about the full term one . However, before I took her in, I noticed the left one was right on the birth canal where it would come out but didnt, so it must have blocked the other one, you would think though if it was fully developed she would have had contractions, pushing it out, and then the live one forcing it out. I know so many things can go wrong, but I just dont understand how he could be so wrong... the head, back end, and arms and legs could be felt on the right side, and he determined before te autopsy that it was just fluid buildup. Also, he mixed up the right and left horn and what each one had in it, on the front page it says the left is the one with the fully formed fetus, the other last page says oppisite.

I know this changes, nothing. I know she cant come back. But I also question what would make him think that, and WHY he did not tell me this after opening her up and seeing it when he told me she died. Why did he continue with that to my face? I cannot believe someone of his education and calibar would miss a fully developed fetus and then only find it when he made out the report. I dont know if he didnt want to upset me more but I think there is a law or oath they take about telling the medical truth. So now I know there were two that died. I was sure for four months there were two, and shocked when he said only one half formed, because I felt movement on the left side a few weeks before all this.

I wonder why a doctor would do this, and I wish I would have taken more med classes. I took a lot of them, but not enough to warrent even thinking about helping with a situation like this on my own, however, if a problem like this occurs again, it will be handled very differently.

Anyone reading this thinking about breeding for fun or for friends, I am one of the people when I STARTED that thought and knew this happens, but was sure it wouldnt to me. As I went on, I knew one day something would happen, because the more you breed, one day either a stillborn or worse has to occur. Please keep these things in mind.

The autoposy, findings, are that instead of just a bunch of blood and rotting in her right side from the half formed fetus being deteriorated, her right side was swollen, because there was a SECOND FULY FORMED FETUS THERE. on the left, there was the half one.

Hence the reason in your other post I recommended getting an ultrasound, not an x-ray. An ultrasound would most likely have shown that second fetus and shown whether it was viable or not. If she was as far along as you thought, there should have been movement on the ultrasound, which would not have shown up on the x-ray.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Gosh I'm just so sorry for your.....There's nothing I can say abou it, but just wanted to say that I'm just real sorry.....

You are right tunes, and I asked him for one, and he said it isnt necessary since there was only one kit which was dead ( HIS opinion) . I was so upset , and had heard so much about him, I trusted it, and I should have followed my guts .

on the part where it says necropsy, which I am not exactly sure what it means, and I am not going to look,

Sorry to hear about your girl. Just wanted to say that "necropsy" is the term used for the animal version of an autopsy.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Thank you for sharing your situation with the chin community. Newbies need to know there is way more to breeding then just cute fluffy babies.

You did your best in trying to get her help. Again, sorry for your loss.

I'm so sorry for your loss and that you had to go through this experience with a vet.

I lost a horse a couple years back when not one, but THREE vets screwed up. Turned out what she had was very life threatening and it was too late by the time we saw 4 vets (the fourth knew what he was doing/talking about). I too felt that something was majorly wrong, but I was 15 at the time and a) the first vet didn't listen to me and b) at the time I figured, hey they are vets, they will know more than I do. I learned to listen to my instincts after that experience... I trust my vet, but if I'm not sure on something, you better believe I'm letting him know.

I am so sorry. It's hard trying to trust someone who is suposed to know better and guide your pet to health when your gut is screaming at you...feel better...take a deep breath and get a good hug...sounds like you could use one:hug2:

I am sorry that happened to you. We had something similar many years ago. One of our girls had a baby, we knew she had at least 1 more baby in there but labor had essentially stopped. Luckily with her oxytocin worked and she delivered a half-developed kit and then another live one.

We had to argue with the vet who wanted us to wait several more hours before doing anything. It of course was a Saturday morning and she was going to be going away for several hours. We met her in a parking lot where she gave her the shot and 15 minutes later we had the live baby after the dead one.

Word of advice to everyone: You know your animals, trust your judgement as well. You see them every day generally the vets only do when something is wrong.

I sure hope newbies read these things. Probably, I am assuming the whole reason Oxytocin didnt work, 3 shots of it in double doses each time from the last, is the babies wernt alive, and I think it depends on live babies for it to work. Too bad that when I brought her in, I am almost sure the one was alive, it must have died while waiting, for the x rays , the blood work, all this stuff. I wish they would have just done it first but for some reason they insisted on it.

Well, I cant say more about it, I just wanted to post this and have people know.. I know most of us are here from the last forum but there are ALWAYS new people, and more importantly sometimes, new people who want to breed out of seeing a pic of a baby chin heh.

I can admit, when I had saw one years ago I was in awe, but like I said years ago, it didnt start a rash of making sub par chins mate, which I think some of us are seeing a lot. I dont mea sub par to pet owners, I have pets, who are not fit for breeding, but they are more special to me than anything. I use the term in breeding only, so I hope that doesnt make anyone mad!

What was found was a set of teeth, a head, some bones, and another formed kit that had died because of being blocked. Hair everywhere from the half formed one, and her uterine horn was messed up. I dont remember the exact term, because I felt dead inside. I was allowed to see all of this, and also hold her when they administered the oxytocin and watch to see if it helped.

Uhm, you knew before the necropsy that there was more than one kit, you said so yourself right here. This should not have been a surprise when you got the necropsy.

Ask the vet to see the xrays and see if you can find the other kit, xrays can be hard to read. The most prominent part is the skull and spine, if they were lined up with say a pelvic bone and a leg, you might not find them at all or easily.
on the part where it says necropsy, which I am not exactly sure what it means, and I am not going to look, it says exactly: Fetus in right uterine horn severely necrotic and mid term (1/2 developed) ;fetus in left uterine horn late term fully developed, no other abnormalities at all.

This chin possibly was carrying a second pregnancy or that kit had been dead for half of the pregnancy, One kit was normal, the other was rotten, necrotic means the tissue was dead and rotting.

I am assuming the whole reason Oxytocin didnt work, 3 shots of it in double doses each time from the last, is the babies wernt alive, and I think it depends on live babies for it to work.

Oxytocin doesn't know if there are living babies or even babies at all. It's not some super drug that senses life, it causing uterine contractions, that's just all it does. It doesn't always work, especially if there are other issues, like the state of toxicity the mother was probably in at the time this all occurred. There is a high probability that she'd had a kit rotting inside of her for well over a month.

I'm sure this is going to make some people mad or make them think I'm just being mean, but this is the truth. Nothing the vet did caused this. The fact he didn't see a kit, didn't cause this, the toxicity of her body is probably the reason she died in surgery, which was obviously started well before this event happened.

Have you expressed your concerns to the vet? I'd like to know what he has to say about the situation. The only thing I see that the vet did wrong was give double doses of oxytocin, that alone could have ruptured the uterus of the chin.

Back