Should i pick him up and get him out of cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpeters

Hi, I am looking after someone's chinchilla whilst they are selling their house. I have to say that I am completely in love with little Frodo who is 8 years old. I have been reading that they should be let out of cage for about an hour a day to exercise..now I don't think he has ever been put of his cage..I was wondering if I should get him out and take him into the bathroom to run around, that was my initial question. Also I am gaining his trust...first he wouldn't let me anywhere near him and now he sits on my hand and lets me tickle his tum and head. Do I just go for it and pick him up?

As long as your bathroom is secure and poison free (nothing around the toilet, etc.) then sure, let him run around. I would limit it at first to maybe 15 minutes as he's never had out of cage time and you don't want him to overheat, and yes, go ahead and pick him up to take him to the bathroom. He may struggle a bit, but in the end he'll love the out of cage time.

If you grab him, he may trust you less. Make sure there is nothing wet in the bathroom because they're not supposed to get wet. -and make sure the toilet is closed because chins can jump very high and he could fall in. When I clean my chin's cage, I put my chin's travel carrier (cat carrier) in front of the cage opening. I let her jump in and out a few times first before closing the door. Then I transport to the play area. Same thing when it's time to go back to the cage. I leave the carrier on the ground and after a few times of jumping in and out, I transport back to the cage.

Back