Youtuber's Chinchilla 'Situation'

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinobsessed

Chinchillin'
(Hopefully this isn't in the wrong fourm, I didn't know where to put it exactly...!)

Recently, it has come to my attention that a very popular youtuber by the name of Wassabi Productions, or Roi, has purchased a young companion chin for his current female, Chi Chi. He has made 3 videos of his new addition so far.

The first video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvIkF42X8m0&t=426s ) basically introduces her. The first mistake I see is that he actually put the kit in with the other 2 year old chin, before even taking the necessary steps to ease them into the introduction, causing the start of a dispute. They quickly separate them.

The second video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mLOtPbb9o4&t=571s ), Roi finally does a bit more research and buys a separate cage to use for the time being during the bonding period. They still have not bonded and Chi Chi attempts to bite Bun Bun through the cage bars.

The third video, and hopefully not the last one of this beautiful little girl, ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2wrKVU9SJE&t=598s ) he is following the right path by having their cages side by side and letting them get used to each other's scents through dust baths and fleece beds. However, he starts to lose hope. He explains that he will wait until the next Friday (this upcoming Friday!) for him to start noticing hope for the pair but if it doesn't work out he will have to "take the next step". I start to get very worried when he starts to talk about the old chinchilla farm and how he is sure that Bun Bun has many best friends back there.

I don't know much about pairing, as the chins I have had all were aggressive towards other chins and were kept individually, but I know that he needs to gather more research before he considers taking her back. Does he know that it can take much longer than 2 weeks? I read somewhere on here that someone's chins took 3 months to bond! Also, Chi Chi has lived her entire life has an individual, so this is pretty new for her.

What are your thoughts on this? I'm going to comment a link to this fourm on his video. While it's a long shot, maybe-just maybe, he will see it and get the support he needs for this scenario.

Oh, and not to mention the worrisome plastic in Chi Chi's cage and lack of simulation like toys or a wheel? :hmm: It makes me worried that he's broadcasting to such a huge audience the way he takes care of these chins.

I tried to watch some of that nonsense, I think I lost brain cells in the process. I've never heard of that person, but from what I was able to tolerate this is a good example of why I tell people that people do stupid things on youtube and to not use it as place to get info.

Those types of people generally are too stupid to actually accept valid advice, especially if it doesn't come from another one of their brain dead friends. It's worth a try, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it. These types of people tend to see pets as cool objects to have and since they have one they think they know everything about them, when in fact they know nothing. He was making it sound like getting a chin from the pet store is the best place to get one.

You can try reporting them, intentionally fighting chinchillas, improper care, etc. but that's about all that might possibly do any good. But it wont help the chins.

It took my Henry nearly a year to become more confident with the girls (who he's not allowed to play with, only sniff through bars under extremely close supervision) despite how calm and friendly they were towards him (though they're brevi-type chins and a bit alarmed at times by how lightning-fast he moves), so it doesn't surprise me a chin used to living without other chinchillas around would be nervy. He is rushing it, and I'm not sure putting the cages side by side at this point is helping here rather than just further stressing and antagonising Chi Chi. I left my cages on opposite sides of the room, not directly parallel, and moved them further when it became clear they were still unnerving each other at times, then only gradually back. I didn't mix scents within cages because doing that (with the scent unintentionally on my hands) panicked him and got me bitten, which I took as a clear enough indicator of his feelings. He's pretty keen on the older girl now (tough luck) and the pair flirt shamelessly when she's in the right mood, but his cage is his cage and he still seems upset if I carry them past (he doesn't want to sniff them through the bars of his cage, only through theirs), I'm inclined to think he would not actually be happy sharing it ever. With any introductions, I guess the thing is partly just to know your chins, different chins will react differently, and they're not all well-suited.

If he returns the new chin it might actually be the best thing for both.

Last edited:
Thanks for clarifying the situation! It's good to know opinions from more informed and experienced owners. Today's Friday, so I guess we'll just have to keep an eye out for an answer. :)

It had ring worms when they adopted it. It wasn't because of stress..Bunbun Came from a farm where they didn't take care of her and they took her in.

Back