Skittish/Change in Behavior

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxYukai

Hello all,

Me, being an overly protective mother, am very concerned for my chin.
Lately, he has been acting very skittish and at sometimes he seems too lazy to even come out.
He has also started to eat more, as he wasn't eating as much beforehand.
He is skittish in the sense that it only takes a small noise to get him hiding behind his house. He comes right back out. He is also not responding when his cage is being cleaned- he used to come out to see what was going on. He does come out to play so it is just a minor change- but hurts me nontheless. He is responding well to seeing his favorite treats. So I'm not too worried.
I should also say that I have been away at school for a couple weeks so my mother is taking care of him. But even while I was home, he was not acting like this. It started up when I left, it seems. But he was not like this last time I left for school either. He's also usually okay with my mother as well.
I'm thinking he may be missing me being in the room and that it's too quiet. There also used to be a lot of mice in the house (that aren't able to get near him or his things) making a lot of noise that are gone now.
Would this explain why he's suddenly skittish, eating a lot, and being a little lazy?
Any suggestions on what to do to help him while I'm away? Noise machine in the room, perhaps?

Thank you!

Back