Painting wooden accessories safely??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IkiKolohe

Aloha kakahiaka!

So I've been busy reading posts on here, garnering and filing away any useful information I might need in the future. Back in January, someone posted this picture of a "hut" that's been painted and a discussion followed about safe ways for coloring handmade stuff for chins. Neither of the 2 options I've been planning to use were mentioned so I wanted to open this discussion again. First, the hut, currently sold through PetSmart's website... Safety is questionable:

greenhut.jpg

During my research, I've run across several posts about using food color (either in water or in a non-toxic glue like Elmer's basic white school glue). So my first attempt (on my schedule for this weekend) is to test out regular food colorings - you know, the red, blue, yellow, green ones that we've used since childhood (in the US anyway). But then my little brain remembered that I have a more varied set of cake frosting dyes. If you guys agree these are safe ways of coloring wood, I'll play around this weekend and see how they turn out. The frosting colors are designed to color WHITE frosting, so I'm not sure how well they'd work mixed with water. I'm sure they'd look beautiful mixed in white glue, but while non-toxic (most kids have eaten some at some point even; I think I did nearly daily in Kindergarten, heh), would it be safe to "paint" the wood with the glue mixture??

Then I found an artist in Canada who does cage signs, as well as, many gorgeous designs for cage accessories. BEAUTIFUL colors. Here are my cage signs as an example:

JoeySign.jpg
KiraSign.jpg

And to give you an idea of her work (I.e., as in how colorful they are). She lists this set specifically as "chin-safe":

sample.jpg

Gorgeous, isn't it? I asked if she would please share what she paints with. I'm not the artist she is, but I wanted just some basic color. She said that she uses soy paint. What in the heck is that?? It's a plant based paint, completely non-toxic from everything I have found about it. So I jumped to my handy Amazon and were able to find 10 or so colors of soy paint and ordered them. These are the ones I'm really interested in using as they are so bright and cheerful. Course, if they aren't safe for my Chinnie's to chew on them, doesn't matter how bright they are. Any ideas on using soy paint guys??

I have a message in to my cousin who is a Veternarian in Phoenix - she's had chins before and she helped her mom with bird rescue for years growing up. I figure all that PLUS the 8 years in school and the Dr before and DVM after, she should give good advice. So I've asked her and am eagerly awaiting her reply...

In the meantime, I wanted to get your feedback about the 2 directions I'm currently heading. I'm looking for something I can color wood with, something bright but chin/chew-safe at the same time.

Mahalo everyone, you are AWESOME!

~ Tina

Aloha again!!!

So my cousin, the DVM, got back to me. She did a bit of reading in her medical books and said that soy paint looks to be safe to use with chins. So I'm pretty sure I'll be giving it a try, unless one of you guys has a different opinion!

Excited about adding more color to my cage!! I wish I could afford Melody's cherry blossom set but it's $330! Yikes, my chins will just have to live with my poor artistical ability! I found some stencils that I can use. :thumbsup:

Mahalo again,
~ Tina

I know some use unsweetened powdered Koolaid made into a paint consistency to dye wood.

Mahalo Dawn!!

I knew you could use unsweetened kool-aid to color loofah but it didn't click that I could use it to dye wood! I bet it would work! I'll have to give that a try too!

Aloha,
Tina

Kool aide does work to a degree. Loofa dyes well but wood not do much and colors like blue, green and yellow don't work well at all. We dye our loofa and some wood. To work well on wood you would need to make it much stronger that you need for loofa.

Back