Improper care of chinchillas!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynnann

My fifteen-year-old daughter is in 9th grade and has animal science. A family donated a cage with two chinchillas to the science class. My daughter has showed me pictures and the cage I personally wouldn't even house one chinchilla in its small, has a wire bottom and there's no running wheel. The poor chinchillas are so stressed that they are chewing their fur and missing patches of fur. I recently upgraded to a double stack ferret Nation and offered to donate my old cage which is like 3-4 times bigger then the tiny cage their in! Apparently the teacher rolled her eyes at my daughter when she showed the teacher a picture of my set up and my offer of donating a larger cage. I work for a pet supply store so I have donated different items to the class like Apple sticks, and chew toys. Which the teacher has apparently refused to give the animals. So the poor little guy have nothing in there cage to chew. The kids just reach in and grab them they stick them in balls to run around in. I guess at least there getting some exercises but from what I understand the balls are bad for the chinchillas. I'm sorry I'm venting but I'm very bothered by this and not sure what or if there's anything I can do. Thanks for listening.

The minimum size for a cage is a 2'x2'x2' for 1-2 chins if the cage is smaller then that it can be considered animal cruelty and they can get in trouble if you report them. Another thing I always wonder, is the class room air conditioned? and kept at the right temp and humidity levels for a chinchilla?

Honestly, rather then having your daughter talk to the teacher, go yourself and talk with them. If the teacher still refuses to provide proper care for the chinchillas, I would talk to the principle of the school. If they also refuse to do anything about the situation then I would call animal services in your area, and report suspected mistreatment of chinchillas.

I don't feel a school is the best place for a chinchilla, although I have known it to work for some, but the teacher needs to be on board with the care. It kind of sounds like the teacher was just given them as class pets and really doesn't care about them one way or another. It's just another thing they were told they have to deal with, and probably don't really know or care to know anything about proper care beyond whatever the people who donated the chins told them.

Yes those balls are dangerous, chinchillas can over heat in a matter of minutes, they are poorly ventilated, and how would you like getting pelted with your own waste? Wheels also aren't required, and especially a school isn't going to have the money to buy a proper chinchilla wheel anyway. No wheel is better then an unsafe one.

go in yourself. If the teach still doesnt wanna hear it, then id go over there head.
I have issues with stupid ppl in 'authority' positions...

Thank you for the input I'm going to have to do something. I think about those poor animals every time I look at mine. I think the cage is at least 2x2x2 but considering that they don't get out much for play time I just feel it's cruel. The school is probably to hot now that it's winer. Also kids take them home for holidays. I think that's to much stress to go home with different families all the time. I worry about them.

Back