Introducing 2 chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynnann

I bought 2 chins a few months ago, the youngest brother died from cancer. I recently rescued another chin. So the first night I put my new chin Chewy in his new area alone. The second day they had play time together for 2 hours no fights just sniffing and a little chasing. Then they had a few more play times. Well today I moved my original chin squeaker out to the dining room next to chewy chewy seemed to be trying to break there the bars to get squeaker. Well there out together right now and seem to be doing well they had a quick scuffle no bitting. Also the cage doors are open and they have both gone and explored the others cage and neither had a problem or paid the other any mind. They have also switched bath houses on there own. What should I do from here? How should I proceed?

You already by passed this but in case it comes up again ill mention it.

When getting a new chin they should be kept in an entirely separate area for at least 30 days. This quarantine period allows you to watch them for any possible illnesses they may have. Chins are very good at hiding them, and if by chance he has something, you dont want it passed to your chins. - It also gives time for the new chin to adjust. He has a new home, possible a new cage, new ppl, new smells, new sounds... new everything. This can put a lot of stress on a chin. And can often leave them quite adjitated and possible aggressive, even if they normally are not.

As for where you currently are with them. Im not sure just how long you've had the new chin, but i would still give him his time to adjust. Putting them together to quickly could have a bad result even if it looks promising.

2 hour play time is quite excessive. They could risk over heating. Generally 30 min would be fine for an adult chin. (chins under 6 months shouldnt have any.)

If you have there cages near each other make sure to leave at least 6 inches of space between them. Bad things have been known to occasionally happen if they are any closer. They would be able to reach each other.

Back