Male Chin Question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHrouda

I have seen several websites stating that males clean their penis' quite frequently and it could seem provocative. Is this true? Only reason I ask is because this will be for my children, who are 8 (a very mature 8), and 14.

Thank you for any and all responses.

I don't know about "quite frequently" but yes, they do clean their penises. They have to because they get hair rings around them and if they aren't removed, then they can cause damage, even to the point of death.

There are ups and downs to both sexes of chins. Females can spray urine up to 6 feet accurately and males check for hair rings. It's really not a huge deal either way (or maybe I'm just used to them) but the hair ring thing can raise some eyebrows with company and bring up lots of questions with kids. I have to say though, if I have the choice of having a chin spray pee in my eye or take care of a hair ring - I'd take care of a hair ring. :)

I would say regularly, not really frequently, but some do like to do it while being watched. I find it no worse then a dog licking it's balls or a cat licking it's private area though. If you get a more discrete chin it looks more like they are just grooming their belly (you may not notice exactly what they are doing if you don't look closely). It is needed for them to do so, as tunes said, but some chins do seem to spend a bit extra time on it, especially young males going through puberty.

Thank you all for the posts! We are going to meet with a breeder this weekend or next to check out some little ones! We are very excited

Back