New kitten and chins?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smidgeyy

If the little guys FIV/FeLV test comes up negative, I'll be adopting another cat. He will be only 12 weeks when I bring him home and I'm super excited.

Now, I'm looking for some information on getting him to ignore the chinchillas. He's a rather docile kitten and enjoys cuddles. However, like most young cats he is also super playful. For the first few weeks, he will need to stay in the bedroom with me... Which is also where my chins are. Obviously the chins will never be left out while he is present, but they are still in the room with him. I need to keep him separated from my other cat, as it's an important step in the introduction process. For him to have free reign of the rest of the house, they both need to get along.

What steps can I take to raise him to ignore the chins and their cages? I do have CNs so he can't shove his paws in, but obviously I'd like him to ignore them completely. If anyone has any experience with this, I'd love to hear what worked for you. :]

Attachments

• kittyyyy.jpg
    kittyyyy.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I have never successfully gotten a cat to do something I really want it to do... It's a cats mission in life to be aloof and contrary. That said, some options are a spray bottle, or tin foil surrounding the cage (on the floor).

Really though, if the cat wants to go see the fun ball of fur over there... There isn't much that will stop her. I've had cats learn to open doors, or lift up fish tank lids.

I hope it all works out!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like the above said, I could never get my cat to leave my chins alone when he was interested so I shut him out of their room. If you have a playpen, I would try to block him off that way. Since he's still small he may not be able to get over it.

And kind of off topic, but I had to do a double take as that looks exactly like our clinic cat that the vet clinic I work at just took in. I thought they were giving him up!

Attachments

• baron.jpg
    baron.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 17
Thanks guys! I'm actually bringing him home today so we will see what happens.

Unfortunately, my bedroom is the only room the chins and kitty can be so I'll need to do some kitty proofing. :]

Oh wow, they are similar! We already have two clinic cats so we couldn't take in another one haha. He's precious and I'm so excited :D

So far, I can't tell how interested he is in them. He was definitely watching my friendly chin(he knows no fear... Loves everything) but that's all so far. I feel like he's a little afraid of the sounds they make when running around the cages, since he just bolts when he hears them Lol. Hopefully he remains afraid of them, no complaints there. :D Since I switched to tile, I have plenty of fleece to spare so perhaps I'll make some covers if I have to. He's a jumper so the play pen may not be a possibility, but I can definitely try laying some against the cage to discourage climbing. :]

I wanted to try the double sided sticky tape but I'm not sure how to implement that without the chins chewing it haha.

Back