cheezit. :(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

GuidoTheHedgie

i've noticed some throw up in the cage twice over the past week or two.

i wasn't sure whose it was until today, when they were out of their cage.

i went to pull cheezit out of her bag, when i heard her squeaking.
i pulled her out, put her down, and she seemed to be heaving.

but i guess it passed, seeing as she went immediately to the food bowl.

is it normal for hedgies to throw up?
what's wrong with my cheezy?

she's got me all worried. :(

It's not normal for hedgies to throw up.

Perhaps she's sick? Intestinal blockage? Allergic to her food?

Is she pooping and peeing? What's her activity level look like?

If you can't find a cause (like scrambling in a panic to get out of a footbath), I'd be taking her to the vet.

Vomiting once, is less concerning if you can figure out a reason that it may have happened (car ride, etc). Happening more than once is more concerning. How long has it been happening and how often are you finding evidence of vomit? Is she keeping water down? Have you changed anything in her diet, environment, etc?

If this is happening regularly you need to find out why it is happening.

Be aware that hedgehogs can become quickly dehydrated from vomiting. Is she acting differently at all? Not getting up to run around as much? Wobbly or weaker looking? Eyes sunken in? Skin doesn't snap back as quickly as it should? If she has any of these symptoms take her to a vet today and get her checked out as well as ask for her to have a sub-q of fluids. These are symptoms of dehydration.

I found Winston looking like that a few days ago. He was choking on his kibble, and threw up twice to help cough it up. But he was making squeeky noises too. That means he's getting air. He was fine after that, so maybe that's what happened. There's a post here, (I think) or on Hedgehog central about how to do the Hedgie version of the Heimlich manuver if they're choking. I'm not sure where is it though. Anyway, Winston's been great since, so I hope Cheezit is too

Kendra

I've had a few hedgehogs that tend to get kibble caught in the roof of their mouth fairly easily. Often they will vomit trying to get the kibble out. Often if I find random vomit in the cage, that is why. Sometimes the hedgehogs mouth is just the right size and shape that certain kibbles get caught easily. It helps to break the kibble up smaller.

Not saying this is the cause, but it's one thing to watch for. Oh and just to mention, you will rarely find the offending piece of kibble as they tend to eat it as soon as they get it unstuck.

her activity level is great.
she's drinking and eating and pooping. always pooping. haha.

there was some more throw up this morning. :(

i've noticed some throw up in the cage twice over the past week or two.

i wasn't sure whose it was until today, when they were out of their cage.

i went to pull cheezit out of her bag, when i heard her squeaking.
i pulled her out, put her down, and she seemed to be heaving.

but i guess it passed, seeing as she went immediately to the food bowl.

is it normal for hedgies to throw up?
what's wrong with my cheezy?

she's got me all worried. :(
Is she sick, any difference?

Back