Chinchilla not Eating

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Incadory

Hey all,

I have a chinchilla Dory who has a history of dental problems. She hasn't been eating right for over a month now.

She has been to the vet three times, and has gone under anesthesia for some dental surgery. For two weeks she was on antibiotics, and for one she was on painkillers. It has been three weeks now since she had her dental surgery, and she has already had a follow up visit because she wasn't eating.

I would really love some advice since the vet checked her teeth and seemed to be at a loss for why she hasn't been eating.

She is still on critical care and seems to be going up in weight, but she is still half chewing her pellets.

I would love some advice, I don't know whether to take her back to the vet who did her teeth, since we have already seen her so many times, or to try and find a new one.

The vet who has previously done her teeth in the past is no longer at the practice, and this has been a new experience for us.

No, there have been no x-rays taken. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, but that might be the next step. I have booked another vet appointment with the same vet for tomorrow.

Do you think it might be malocclusion of some sort? :/

The first step in determining malocclusion is to get x-rays as soon as you can. Head x-rays should be able to show if it actually is in fact malocclusion and how advanced it is. You want to decide how you go forward with treatment keeping in mind the best interest for your furbaby.

Back