Bella and Marlee together - first time

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smhufflepuff

super-duper hedgiepig
As a first in the Hufflepuff household, Bella and Marlee were allowed to meet. They've seen each other. They've lived in the same room. They've vacationed with cages touching. But they hadn't been nose to nose before.

I set up their play area, put myself close by in case there was any fighting, and took a few quick shots... mostly I had my eye on them and the camera tucked away in case something went awry and I needed to intervene immediately.

What happened? Well, this:
picture.php

Mostly, it was two hedgies who alternately quilled up a bit & fuffed at one another until they decided it was best to hide in a hedgiebag... together. Whereupon Miss Marlee dug deep and quilled up in there while Miss Bella chilled near the opening:
picture.php

The soundtrack to this adventure goes like this:
Marlee: pffft
Bella: pffft
Marlee: pfffffffffffft
Bella: pffffffffffft
Marlee and Bella together: pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft
a few moments of silence
Bella: pffft
Bella: pfffffft
Marlee: pfffffft
Marlee and Bella together: pffft, pffffffffffffffffffffffft, pfffffffffffft, pffft
quiet time
Marlee and Bella together: pffffffft
Bella: pffffffffffffffffffffffffft
quiet time

Awwww sweet! I'm sure they'll work it out eventually. Thanks for such a detailed account of their encounter. ;)

Lol. I've never been around a hedge hog before so I was curious about the noises they make when I saw all the pfffft's. is that a good noise or a bad noise? Do they make a variety of noises like chinchillas?

Depending on how loud and long the pfffft's are, they can carry different meanings.

For example, when I arrived at her cage each night, Satin would make a very soft pfffft - sort of a "hi mommy, I'm over here."

Most pfffft's are a "hey, what is that! I'm concerned!" A very long, loud, or series of pfffft's is fairly well interpreted as "aaaahhh! what the fuff?!" or "stop that! Go away!" That's how I'd interpret the soundtrack of their meeting.

Hedgiedaddy remarked that the, "I'm not happy with you being here; go away," huffs are fairly ridiculous at times. Bella, for instance, often prefers to be in her house undisturbed. She hides herself away and you wouldn't really even know there is a hedgehog in there except there's a constant stream of, "pfffffft, pfffffffft..." coming from under a hat when you're in the hedgie room. The exact kind of huffing and puffing that would attract your attention and prompt you to look under that hat and check on her.

In addition to the variety of huffing, they'll make contented little chirp/warbles (love to hear those). They can hiss (indicating displeasure). They will yelp in pain or fear (never good to hear that). They can also scream (very bad; extremely rare).

Thanks for the noise explanation. I think they're very interesting animals. All of the pictures I've seen people post here are awesome. I always look forward to seeing a new post in hopes of a pic being attached.

Back