Eating (and swallowing) wood

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nidchenko

So I have not been able to find anyone else experiencing this but, my chinchilla seems to actually chew and swallow everything she bites.

She has always been strange in terms of behaviour and I have tried to get her out of the habit. She stopped chewing her rock and various wooden objects for a while so I started encouraging her again because her teeth were overgrowing.

Does anyone have any advice on how to train this out. It does not seem to mess with her digestion so far but it definitely does not sound good.

You don't want to discourage her from chewing on things, just make sure what she has is all chin safe, use only chin safe wood. Chinchillas can digest small amounts of wood, and bark, sticks, and twigs are a natural part of their diet.

All the wood is chin-safe. The only thing I was concerned about, is she eats a lot of it at a time. I suppose if she has not had an issue until now she will be fine with continuing this.

Back