Chinchillas got into massive fight when Dad got reintroduced to Mom and Baby?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chin.Lover

So my chinchillas had a baby. It's been about a week, and I finally got to putting the baby and mom back with the father. They looked like they've been miserable without their company. (They've been together since they were first born... I know it's messed up that they are siblings, but they've been together for around 6-7 years and the baby was really unexpected.) I baby-proofed the cage, and everything was going good. It looked like the mom was trying to teach the baby to jump up to the short little platform I placed. It looked like it was going good, when all of a sudden the baby unexpectedly grabbed ahold of the mom's nose.The mom started making super loud noises.
Then all **** broke loose.
The mom and dad started fighting, the baby was sprinting around everywhere, and fur was flying everywhere. neither of them would let me grab them, so I pulled the shelves out so they'd stop jumping around(they're still fighting, the baby is still scared and sprinting around,) and all of a sudden I don't know if it was the mom or the dad, but one of them started peeing everywhere. I grabbed the dad and put him in the spare cage with food and water. What the **** happened? What should I do? Please help? Are they both still in heat?
(P.S. Since the fight around 30 min ago, the baby stays as far away from the mom, and the only good relationship now is between the baby and the father...)

Did you get the father neutered? If so how long have you allowed him to recover? it can take up to 8 weeks to get everything worked out of his system. If not why are you intentionally creating inbred chinchillas? Do you know they don't carry any genetic issues? Do they have some trait you are looking to continue? I'm sorry, you may be a little kid or something and your parents haven't explained things to you yet, but when you put an intact male and an intact female together there is always a chance they will mate. Just because they are brother and sister means nothing in the animal world, they just see it as a male or female, not brother or sister. Also chinchillas wont breed unless they feel the conditions are right, so they can be together for many years without producing a kit.

I would not even try to put the father back unless he is neutered (which is dangerous and he could very likely die), and depending on if the kit is male or female I would put it with the same gender parent. If the kit is still young and need the mother I would give the mother time to cool off and then try to put the kit back with her. It is possible you will need to hand feed the kit if the mother does not accept it back. That will mean feedings every couple hours 24 hours a day until the kit is about 8 weeks old. If it gets along with the father it can stay with him for warmth, but males don't produce milk. however if it's female it will need to be separated from the father at 8 weeks so the father doesn't mate with her. Once again the fact that it's father and daughter means nothing. Similarly, if you have the kit with the mother and it's male remove it at 8 weeks so it doesn't mate with her.

It sounds like the kit probably slipped, hurt the mother, then the mother lashed out at the male. Chinchillas will slip fur and pee as a defense. It's also possible that if the male isn't neutered or you haven't given him time to recover that he tried to mate with the female again and that got her angry too.

Back