Chinchilla humping...people?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittany_Lynn

I like dinosaurs :3
Pico likes to hump me. A lot.
He humps my hand when I stick it in his cage to pick him up, he humps me arm when I carry him to the bathroom for play time, he humps my feet, legs, and any other body part with exposed skin when he's climbing on me during playtime, and all the while he gives me little love bites...Sorry guy, wrong species!
Anyone else have this happen? I gave him a fleece buddy that I slept with (to put my scent on it) so that he would (hopefully) stop, but he hasn't.

I think he likes you!! haha
It's a 'teenage' thing, usually, and he should outgrow it - how old is he?

That's too funny. If he gets in the habit of humping the fleece buddy too, be sure and do regular hair ring checks. When my older boy was in his teenage stage he loved his fleece buddy a little too much, and it can definitely lead to hair rings, let me just say.

Both of mine grew out of that stage though, although maybe yours just likes you.:hmm:

They usually grow out of it. Roo tried to hump anything that moved for a year. He hasn't touched anything once he hit his 2nd birthday. He's 4 now.

My boy is pretty young too, a few months ago he began humping my hands & arms when I stick them in the cage. He doesn't do it all the time, but pretty often. I'm just lucky he's left my feet alone so far! I can usually just push him away gently and distract him with chin rubs, and he'll stop (for now). I am just hoping he grows out of it soon, like within a year? I can hope, right??

Hopefully it's just a phase. I have 3 adults and luckily all of them skipped that phase with me!

I would just suggest waiting it out, really nothing else you can do. Are you checking him for hair rings? Espeically if he has a cuddle buddy, be sure to check him on a regular basis.

Good luck!:neener:

My boy Liv used to hump Derek and I when he was younger and we first had him. Now we have him as a single chin again with the trio in the other cage and whenever he's out with us he humps whatever he can grab. he's about a year and a half. so I'm sure Pico will grow out of it, here's hoping that Liv does too!;)

Yes I've been checking for hair rings on he and Mork (Mork also looooves his fleece buddy), everything looks good so far.
Pico is about 3 and a half :wacko:, whereas Mork is...?? I think Mork is around 2, I can only guess based on his size, and even that is a poor marker. But Pico's previous owners bought him from a breeder as a kit, and they say he is 3.5 years old.
I'm not upset with him or anything for doing it, I understand he's an animal with...urges...(lol), I just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me! And the only real reason I ask is because Mork has never humped me. He gets excited if I rub his side, he'll do the swishy tail dance, make the 'I'm horny' noise, and occasionally popcorn once and then go erm...'clean' himself. :vomit: Hahaha. But he's never humped me.
Pico on the other hand just likes to hump me and then 'clean' himself. No swishy tail dance, no noises, no popcorning. So that was why I asked.
I wonder if he is doing it at his age (which seems a little late for a teenage chin) because I'm a girl? His previous owner was a guy. Dunno if that matters. Just some thoughts, wanted to discuss it, ya know.

:)

I wonder if he is doing it at his age (which seems a little late for a teenage chin) because I'm a girl? His previous owner was a guy. Dunno if that matters. Just some thoughts, wanted to discuss it, ya know.

:)

I've actually thought about that too because it seems like Liv tries to hump me ALOT more often than he humps Derek. Maybe they can sense we're the opposite sex? hahah that might be crazy but who knows. chins are interesting creatures :wacko:

That's too funny. If he gets in the habit of humping the fleece buddy too, be sure and do regular hair ring checks. When my older boy was in his teenage stage he loved his fleece buddy a little too much, and it can definitely lead to hair rings, let me just say.

Both of mine grew out of that stage though, although maybe yours just likes you.:hmm:

Oh thank goodness, it's not just me.
I kinda wigged out yesterday because my boy Dougal started humping my hand when I put it in the cage. He did it again tonight, so I decided to do some digging around to make sure he wasn't pulling some dominance **** I'd have to handle.
Lemme tell you, I do not appreciate a male of any species pulling that stuff on me.
Glad to know they can grow out of it!

At what age are chinchillas in the "teenager" stage? My chinchilla isn't very old and he humps everything! Is there a way to make him stop, at the very least, my hands when I try to clean his cage or have playtime with him? He always does it if I try to give him scratches or if I set my hand down anywhere he can get to it. I don't hold it against him, I just find it a little annoying sometimes when i just want to see him run and play.

That’s really odd, I have had well over 30 chinchillas, and I breed them, but I have never had a single chinchilla do that to me. All of the baby’s we keep until they are 4 or 5 months old, I know that’s a little long but I like to be sure they are infood health before I sell them, and none of them have ever even shown signs of that. Also my 1st bred chinchilla that I kept, I couldn’t part with her, is 2 now and never did that either? I must just be lucky!!!

I have an eight year old who humps my arm. I just got him last November so I do not know how long he has been humping or if he ever humped his previous owner.

Back