New cage question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minnow

Hello! This may be a silly question but I just purchased a critter nation cage for my chinchilla Milo. Its still in shipping so I dont have it here with me quite yet, but I was curious if I should introduce it to him slowly so he can get used to it or if I could move him over to it immidiately. He's currently in an All Living Things chinchilla/ferret cage. I also wondered if anyone had the measurements for the ramps, pans, and ledges so I could go ahead and sew up some fleece lining so it's ready for when it gets here. :)

It depends on the chinchilla how quickly you move him over, is he more the adventurous type or more the shy type? It's also best to move over items from his previous cages (even if you plan to replace them) so the cage smells like him when he first moves in.

I don't know the ramp size off hand, and I don't use the ramps, they are an accident waiting to happen if the fleece ever gets pulled off to expose them, wooden ledges are much safer. The bottom pan is roughly 3' x 2', the half cage shelves are roughly 2' x 1.5', that is the measurements for the outside of the cage so the liners end up a little big, but works well if you are doing pillowcase style liners. You didn't say if it's a single or double, but I don't use the middle level anymore so I don't know the hole size off hand.

He's pretty bold, he's usually up for exploration and loves anything he can get into. It's a double, thank you very much for the measurements. If you think the ramps are too dangerous I'll go ahead and remove them so there's no chance of him removing the fleece and exposing the ramp wire.

the ramps are problematic. Chins have caught there foot in there and broken it or been hanging over the edge and had to have it amputated etc. Wooden ledges are much safer, much better for them cause they are jumpers, and it always good to have items that are chewable.

Back