Air evaporator?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kraucci

Hi everyone. Time for another potentially silly question for which I apologize in advance as always!

Okay, so: I moved into a studio and the window isn't a regular push up to open. It's a sliding one and only one side opens. That's my only window. So, being in lovely New England, it's supposed to go from the 60s to 81 on Sunday ...then in 2 days down to 48, but I digress... I'm trying to be prepared for my chin. I'm pretty broke right now, so I've been looking at portable "air evaporators," but they all keep referring humidity. Does anyone have any insight on whether or not they're okay and do the same thing essentially? I don't want to do something terrible to the air and end up making things worse for the poor little guy.

Any suggestions on window or portable units of any kind if anyone has any information please would be greatly appreciated. It's kind of overwhelming to try to pick one off Amazon or something online, but when I went to Walmart the other day they only had 2 pricey units that were meant for the windows that open like that and no portable ones at all. I'm sorry for the rant! It's been a generally bad week and honestly if anything happens to my furchild over the temperature, I'll be devastated. I hope you can relate! Anyway again, I'm sorry and thank you all in advance as always.

You're all so wonderful and patient with my dumb questions!

Have an awesome weekend!

The evaporators basically work by adding moisture to dry hot air, as the moisture evaporates in the dry air it cools the air. So unless you are in a desert like region (like 20% humidity normally) you will also need to buy a dehumidifier to help keep the humidity down. The would probably negate any savings, and require you to fill the evaporator and empty the dehumidifier throughout the day. In the end it would be less money to just get a portable ac unit. Some temporary suggestions would be to get some blackout type curtains up (blankets work in a pinch) to help block the sunlight to keep the heat down. Also open the window at night when it's cool and close it during the day when it warms up. So long as the temp inside the room is in the low 70s you should be ok.

Being in Canada I really can't help with ac brand/model suggestions, the brands I use I don't think they sell there, lol. Also unfortunately most portable ac units your are looking at at least $200-300, but that is still probably cheaper then an emergency run to the vet with a heat stroked chin.

That's what I was thinking. Thank you! I did try to search old threads before I bothered anyone, but the only results were very old and those models weren't on the links anymore and not really my situation. Yes def already all over the darkening and manual cooling situation. I don't like heat either haha...well not uncomfortable heat (which honestly is his range go figure lol) so I can only imagine what he's feeling. Thank you so much!

Just wanted to let you know that most portable ac units can have the window panel installed horizontal or vertically.

Back