Two Chinchillas - Meeting?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaraleeB

I got a chinchilla back in November, his name is Skipper and we were told he was 6 months or younger but they couldn't tell us an exact age. I love Skipper and we have been doing great with him but the more research I did I found that they are social creatures and often like to have companions! This being said I started looking around for another chin! I found one that a family had that were looking to rehome. When we got him he was malnourished it seemed. I don't think the family meant to be doing it but they just didn't know what they were doing. :mad: We have him back up to a healthy weight and he is running and playing a lot more now too!! They said he is around 2 years old. So we have tried to get them to meet and get along and it isn't going so well...

I didn't know what I was doing so as soon as we got Bo we put him in the play area with Skipper and they didn't get along so we separated them and started more research! (I understand now that this was a bad choice and I was clueless at the time or I wouldn't have ever done that!)
So for about a week we have put their cages next to each other and once they started not trying to get through the cage at each other we switched cages. So Bo went into Skipper's cage and Skipper into Bo's at the same time so they were still separated... They also didn't seem to mind this at all, they actually quite like the change it seems! I have been rotating them every 8-12 hours or so. I have also let them both take dust baths in the same dust!

However, every time I try to put them together in the play area to play they don't get along. There is no chirping or noises but Skipper keeps jumping on Bo's back and they get in a tuffle. I will break it up as quickly as I can! (I am always sitting in the room with them when we try introductions. They both tend to loose some fur in these commotions but nothing else so far.

I don't know what next to do. Do they just need more time in their cages beside each other? Will they ever get along or should we just stop trying and let them just enjoy single cages?

I want them to get along and love each other but I ultimately want to do whatever is best for both my chin boys!

If I'm reading this right you have only had the new guy for a week? That is way too short of a time for the new chin to even settle in. It takes most chins at least a week to settle in to a new home, some it's more like a month or more. That is one reason it's advised to quarantine the new chin in a different room for a month before starting intros. It allows the new chin to settle in without worrying about another chin, and it gives you time to learn the new chin's personality. If what you mean is you have been trying intros for a week then, once again that is too short of a time, it can take weeks to months. You can't rush the process, you have to go at the chin's pace, and it things go bad you may have to back track. So long as no blood is drawn it's not time to give up yet.

Another thing to keep in mind is that although in general chins are social animals, not all chins like all other chins. Just like humans are social, but not all humans like all other humans. Some chins prefer being an only chin, some enjoy a playmate but not a cage mate, some enjoying just having a neighbor to talk to, etc. A lot of it comes down to personality, two dominate chins for example are likely not going to get along since both want to be the leader. Some bickering, chasing and mounting is normal, they need to sort out who is in charge. Fur pulling or slipping is not a good sign and they need some time apart to calm down. I would separate them for a week or so, no switching cages or anything, just let them settle. If they are still angry in the cages next to each other try moving them farther apart or putting something between the cages so they can't see each other. Once settled you can try moving the cages back together and wait until they are actually sleeping next to each other in their cages.

I would also double check that they are in fact both males. It can be tricky to tell sometimes due to their odd anatomy down there.

Amethyst - Thank you! In all my research I had not read anywhere to give them a month quarantine! I am glad to know that I am just being impatient and it doesn't mean that it won't ever happen. I will just slow down and let them enjoy their own cages for a week or so and try letting them meet again once I notice they are more comfortable with each other through the cages!! Thank you so much!

Back